Spent an hour on the Brodhead Creek

B

Bart

As the title states I was on the Brodhead just below the Mill Creek bridge. Water is very low and gin clear. I did pick up one nice size rainbow on the third cast using a Czech nymph while tight line nymphing.

I missed two others as I was day dreaming when they hit LOL...
It was nice to get out on the last of the 60 degree days. I also out early last week same spot.

We need rain.

I know that spot, always wanted to fish it, but never have. Maybe soon.

I love the brodheads. Awesome stream. Good work by you.

blueheron wrote:
Nice stringer.

As long as he used it properly...you are to puncture the fishes mouth as if it were a fish hook and close the gap, not go through their gills which will kill the fish so fast that you may as well have clubbed it over the head and placed it in a bag in the water. After all, fish spoils very quickly.

I know that you were criticizing him keeping that trout, but doesn't he have that right? After all any fish that you eat is harvested from somewhere and maybe through the regular angler taking some could be the least damaging and most sustainable.

I've caught hundreds of fish this year of various species and not kept s single one, but that doesn't mean someone who harvests a fish here and there within their legal bounds should be criticized.

That's a nice sized stocked rainbow that would make a nice dinner. If I had a creel or stringer with me, I would likely have kept that fish.

Or fed to the ravenous racoons.

No big deal. It's from the lower Brodhead. Far from a wild trout section like upper brodhead.

Trout Sushi on the Menu, stream side...

Don't get your panties in a bunch, it's only November.

Millsertime wrote:
No big deal. It's from the lower Brodhead. Far from a wild trout section like upper brodhead.
The Brodhead is listed as having Wild Trout reproduction from the headwaters to the mouth. Know what you're talking about.

yeah this time of year the browns come up from the Delaware to spawn

Chaz wrote:
Know what you're talking about.

Chaz…The OP attached a picture of a rainbow trout in a section of the creek that received a fall stocking (rainbows only) less than a month prior to him catching it. Based on the size of the trout and fresh stocking, I’d say with almost 100% certainty that this fish is not wild. All of the fingerling rainbows I’ve caught near Analomink or in the Lower Gorge have been 10” or less and displayed wild characteristics, nothing like the OP’s photo. I live 5 blocks from the Brodhead and fish it regularly year round. I invite you to drive north and fish it with me. Maybe you can learn more about this historical stream.

Not to hijack this thread but Q for Millerstime. Are your familiar with the gorge below the WWTP?

I recently read a piece in a fly fishing book about the fascinating history of the Henryville House - which is/was located on a prime stretch of the Broadheads. Anyone know if it's still there?

Yes. Fishing is fair below it but excellent above it especially in the fall. Great BWO hatches above the WWTP this fall. Unfortunately access to get there is NOT easy.

Henryville house no longer stands but Henryville Fly Fishers (club) house still stands today. It's off Rt 191 and has claim to excellent sections of Paradise Creek (Trib to Bhead). The history in that area is amazing. Thaddeus Norris, James Leisenring, US presidents, and many more.

Local fly tyer Scott Cesari has great historical information on his website.

http://www.scottcesariflytying.com/pocono-patterns/

dryflyguy wrote:
I recently read a piece in a fly fishing book about the fascinating history of the Henryville House - which is/was located on a prime stretch of the Broadheads. Anyone know if it's still there?

A web search turned up this:

"The Henryville House was abandoned in the 1970s and finally torn down in 2004."

Also, I believe it was located on Paradise Creek, a trib of the Brodhead, rather than the Brodhead itself.

My web search also turned up photos of the Parkside Chapel at Henryville, which was built in that era and where fishermen and other vacationers went to church, and it is still there and still used for services in the summer. A really beautiful small stone church, like you would see in England.

http://www.parksidechapelofhenryville.org/

Thanks for the clarification guys.
The piece I read was written by Ernie Schweibert - called Homage to the Henryville.
Besides hosting presidents and many other famous fishermen - Buffalo Bill and Annie Oakley even went there to perform and fish

Back