Southwest pa recommendations

chstrcntyfish

chstrcntyfish

What's up everyone I have not posted on here in a while but I have relocated to West Virginia and I have not fished in a long time. I have been looking at the trout stream listings for Fayette and Somerset counties and am pretty lost because I don't know my way Around the area. Is anyone willing to point me in the right direction to catch some wild fish? I noticed on the class a streams that some say they on private property but open to fish does this mean I need special permission? If anyone could post or pm me a starting point for the class a streams I would greatly Appreciate it. I finally have some free time and was hoping to fish tomorrow morning but don't know where to go...also I tried the yough once and felt pretty hopeless.

You might want to change the topic to Southwest Pa.I can't help 'cause I'm in SE Pa.

Haha yea thanks for that

Thinking of getting a md license and fishing the lower savage...

chstrcntyfish wrote:
I noticed on the class a streams that some say they on private property but open to fish does this mean I need special permission? ...also I tried the yough once and felt pretty hopeless.

The Class A list has much info that is dated. Some of the streams have not been surveyed in many years. If they were "open" they allowed fishing at the time of the survey but it may be that you needed actual permission from the landowner. My advice is get a list of wild streams on public land and start by exploring those. The ones on private land, I would visit and if the land is posted, you should ask permission. If it isn't posted, depending on the appearance, I might consider walking in and fishing - it's a judgement call but it never hurts to ask (and this may even get you permission to fish waters that aren't on the list or otherwise posted). Folks are often tight lipped about exact spots to access particular wild trout streams. A polite PM to a forum member from that neck of the woods would be more likely to get you some specific info.

The Yough is tough and often treats newbies rough. Don't give up on it.
The Savage River in MD is also world class and - I think - more predictable than the Yough (but can also be tough to fish). The special reg section of the Yough in MD is also very good and worth a visit.

Alright thanks for the tips I am probably going to fish the savage either the lower or the upper or both. It's supposed to rain tomorrow but ill probably go in the early morning anyway. I have read that there are tributaries to the upper section in the savage river state forest with brookies which sounded apealing but couldnt find much else about them. If anyone knows this area and could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Not trying to lecture you but there is Didymo in the Savage below the dam. Something to keep in mind if you decide to fish multiple locations. I would add that the Savage below the dam is rather slow to warm up in Spring and Spring thus far has been fairly cool. The USGS site gives temperature readings for that location. Otherwise, if you live within reasonable distance of the places FI mentioned, those are good stomping grounds for a fisherman.

Yea I have read about that.. Does that mean I should fish the upper first if at all? Any suggestions on upper vs lower?

Fished part of the upper savage... Got a couple stocked rainbows ill have to go back another time and explore

Back