Southeastern PA

BucksFly

BucksFly

Any good stream striking up the season? I'm off at College in Pittsburgh and want to jump right into things when i get off of school on late April. I usually head right to the Neshaminy or Little Lehigh Heritage Section. All hints are appreciated.

You have to narrow you request for information, there are a lot of streams within 2 hours of Bucks County, like what area of BC are you traveling from.

I come from the Doylestown area of the county, I've tried some streams within minutes of me but could never seem to find a good pocket of water that is not completely fished out after opening weekend. I usually try streams like the Tohickon, West Branch of the Perkiomen and upper parts of the Neshaminy.

BucksFly wrote:
Any good stream striking up the season? I'm off at College in Pittsburgh and want to jump right into things when i get off of school on late April. I usually head right to the Neshaminy or Little Lehigh Heritage Section. All hints are appreciated.

This season the stocked streams should be holding a lot of trout. The opening weekend was pretty much of a washout and the water remains very cold, so very few trout were harvested. A lot of the stocked streams have received second stocking over the preseason stocking. There are plenty of trout to go around right now.

West Branch of the Perkiomen is not stocked, but if you want a place to start, try immediately upstream of rt. 100. It's open to fishing from there up to Old rt. 100 about a mile, landowners want c & r only.
The Main Branch of the Perkiomen fishes well this time of the year. It is open from Green Lane Reservoir to Toll Gate Rd.
There are other places to fish that may be better, but that will get you started.

Tohickon fished out? I could only hope that would be the case. Don't let yourself get psyched out by thinking that everything is fished out. I've Electrofished too many streams in front of the very anglers who made the same claims as you. They were embarrassed every time.

If i was 5 minutes from the tohickon, id be there everyday. Spend your time and learn to adjust depth, weight for nymph rigs. They are there, they have to be. Focus on all spots, dont skip a big section cause its not a huge hole. Hit all the eddys, runs, riffles, rocks, and fish the seams. I was told by my mentor and friend to fish the seamsand my hookups have increased alot.

tohickon insects;
some of the pics are old and done with a low pixel camera, sorry for the distortion.

Attachments

• tohickon scud.jpg
    tohickon scud.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 2
  • yellow sally and sadlle case maker.jpg
    yellow sally and sadlle case maker.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 2
  • stenoma nymph.jpg
    stenoma nymph.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 2
  • large stone.jpg
    large stone.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 4
  • isonichia tohickon.jpg
    isonichia tohickon.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 2
  • giant caddis larva.jpg
    giant caddis larva.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 2
  • hydropsyche.jpg
    hydropsyche.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 2
  • giant hydrosyche.jpg
    giant hydrosyche.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 2
  • early brown stone.jpg
    early brown stone.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 4
  • chimmarra larva in net.jpg
    chimmarra larva in net.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 2
  • damsel fly.jpg
    damsel fly.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 2
  • cress bug.jpg
    cress bug.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 2
  • fuscum 5-30-07.jpg
    fuscum 5-30-07.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 2
Hey Chaz, is it pretty easy to get away with parking right there at Jakes and fishing up on WB Perk ? Seems like a decent parking spot, never fished it down that way.

I'm a fan of the main branch Perk above tollgate if you can find a good spot to get in, lots of stream all the way up toward the hereford hill.

Always wondered about the Tohickon, thanks for that great post Sandfly, guess that answers my question about fishing it. I've Rock climbed down there and boated it on the dam release days but never even threw a line in there.

OP, might wanna take a look at the Unami as well. Think that comes out of the quakertown area but don't know how it fishes up there.

Also had a buddy pull some musky out of the Perky downstream from the Deep creek lake and Res. on the fly last year. Think he's a member here but not too active. Great smally fishing down that way too in the warmer months.

tohickon has sm. bass, musky (few) stripers (few), panfish also.
Oh and both kinds of pickerel..

Why not fish the east branch perk? It's 10 minutes from you and gets 3 spring stockings.

I spent all weekend listening to the spin fishing guys saying it was wiped out and there were no trout left, however I caught more 10-12 inch browns than I could count on dry flies over the weekend. Just gotta know where to look.

hit me up if you want a half-assed guided tour of the good spots.

dubbywubby guide service ???

Yup. Some of the best fishing for stockies happens when the stream is "fished out" and the hatches begin.

PASKIINGSUCKS wrote:
Hey Chaz, is it pretty easy to get away with parking right there at Jakes and fishing up on WB Perk ? Seems like a decent parking spot, never fished it down that way.

I'm a fan of the main branch Perk above tollgate if you can find a good spot to get in, lots of stream all the way up toward the hereford hill.
I've heard the Jakes doesn't like people parking there to fish. There is a parking area that we installed there on the Longacre Farm, but I don't think you can access the parking lot now because of bridge construction. I will check it out though.

sandfly wrote:
dubbywubby guide service ???

Hell no. haha I wouldnt have the patience to sit there and not fish while watching someone else do it.

That being said, there was a huge stocking on the EB Perk on Monday. I heard roughly 3000 fish. Monday night was fish on every cast all night. Then the flood hit and washed a ton of them downstream.

I was out last night and fished some lesser traveled areas (I'm talking well below the lower stocking limit) and it was still murky as hell but they were smashing tiny griffiths on the surface. I couldnt wet a line without a fish on it. Pretty boring stream, but so productive for dry stockie fishing this time of year.

Back