Smokie mountains, Tennessee

Jessed

Jessed

Headed down to the smokies for a week and was wondering if someone could give me tips on fishing the smokies? At the high elevations how many creeks hold trout and do you think a 5' 2wt for smaller creeks be ok? I'm only looking to fish streams 5-15 feet.

This won't have everything, but its a start: http://www.flyfishingsmokymountains.com/streams.html

If you're going to be in NC, try this: http://www.flyfishingtrail.com/

I was down there last summer and it really is incredible. Most of those high elevation streams have some pretty thick brush so the smaller the rod the easier the hike. Attractor dries, terrestrials, and small streamers are all you should need.

I've been down before. Spent a week there a few years ago, but it was a family trip, so the trip wasn't fishing centric and most of my trips were rather short escapes, so I really couldn't get back in there away from roads as I'd have liked.

- a couple of short trips on Cosby Creek as we were camped there for a few days. Fished well, my favorite of the trip. Mostly bows, a few brookies, 1 brown.

- Little River upstream from Elkmont. Didn't fish great, and this was my larger trip and I spent a good portion of a day there. I did catch a couple of bows and 2 fairly nice browns (low teens).

- Roaring Fork, right along the motor trail thing out of Gatlinburg. Only fished it for like 45 minutes but it fished EXTREMELY well in terms of numbers. I got into double digits in that short time, and right by the road. All smallish bows.

- Middle Prong Little River - Near where the Thunderhead Prong and Lynn Camp Prong merge to form the middle Prong. Did ok. All rainbows. One that surpassed 10".

Overall, yes, in the park, pretty much every stream large enough to hold fish, which does not get too warm, does hold fish. Rainbows dominate the landscape, but there are places with brookies, and pretty much everywhere has a few browns. More browns in lower elevations as streams level out and begin to warm a little. A lot of the larger streams, as you get lower on them, do warm too much for trout, though smallies pick up the slack, and there is overlap, and they do stock trout outside the park. I'd also note that the streams have somewhat of a boom/bust flow. i.e. the lower end of your width range, 5 ft wide, may dry up at times and thus not hold fish. While I caught brookies on Cosby Creek, I was told the brookie centric streams are mostly the high elevation ones, which I did not get to.

Abrams Creek is probably the most famous stream on the TN side. It's a limestoner like chem and character and known for bigger fish and pickier fish. I didn't fish it but did hike along it from Cade's Cove down to some falls. It's fair sized along that hike, and looked inviting, but a totally different character than the other streams. More a gentle flow with small cuts and crevices, whereas the other streams were steep and wild freestoners.

Gatlinburg has a fly shop. I did not visit but it looks small and touristy, and everything in Gatlinburg was overly touristy and with too much traffic. I did not really like that town. I did like the Cosby Creek area, although it only accesses a small corner of the park and you can't get to the main park roads.

Townsend was a nice place, more laid back, and with direct park access. There is a large, very, very nice fly shop in Townsend, called Little River Outfitters. I was very impressed with their operation. They give a lot of info and have a well stocked shop. They also have an active message board and a website loaded with info.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/

I'm not of much help on the NC side....

Castability wasn't difficult but the water crystal clear and the fish spooky, and generally a little larger than our small PA freestoners (the small ones, again, dry up at times). As such, you need a bit of distance on the casts. I'd recommend something in the 7-8 ft range, 4ish wt. Could easily get away with an 8'-8'6" 5 wt too, especially if you have eyes on the slightly bigger waters like Abrams and Little River. The fish aren't big, though.

Thanks! I wanna try and get my first wild bow! I look into those streams.

Jessed, here's my fishing photo album from that trip. Just gives a visual flavor of what the streams and fish are like.

http://s58.photobucket.com/user/pcray1231/slideshow/Smokies%20Fishing?sort=4

Much appreciated pcray!

I lived up on Roan Mountain for a while. I did well on the Doe River, and Laurel fork. The Doe right in the town of Roan Mountain. Laurel Fork is near Watauga Lake. Both hold fish all summer long with some wild fish mixed in.

I'd be happy with small 8-10 inch wild rainbows!

I fished the Laurel Fork in march on my way to South Holton. It is a very beautiful stream.
BTW thanks PCray,for your very thoughtful and detailed posts...next time I'm traveling in the Smokies ,i'll use your posts as a guide

Timely post for me.
I'm going on a family vacation to Tennessee next month. Me and three ladies. So, I won't be doing any serious fishing.
But I should have enough room to pack a light travel rod and a few boxes of flies.
We'll be staying in gatlinburg three days. I've read that the stream that goes right through town - pigeon fork - has trout fishing. And figure on being able to fish it, while the chicks are doing the shopping thing.
Has anyone tried it?
I've also read nice things about Abrams creek, which might be a better bet at this time of year.
Probably only have time to try one or the other

I assume you are talking about the Little Pigeon River? (or the west prong or middle prong of the Little Pigeon River, which all have alternative names as well, making things weird).

I've not had the pleasure of wetting lines in any of them, but I did see them all, with some drool coming out of my mouth.

The West Prong of the Pigeon River is what goes through Gatlinburg. In town it's gonna be stockies. Or you can go up into the park (traffic permitting, lol). Pretty much follows Newfound Gap Road up over to the top. This is the main park road, and large portions of the stream are literally RIGHT beside the road, so be prepared for traffic and tourists, but you can likely find a few places where it gets away some, or walk up a trib. It's also rough walking in many places, big boulders. Above Chimney Tops, near the top of the mountain, there are brookies.

In some areas this river is also called Walker Camp Prong, the name switches back and forth as does the signage.

Other options are to head east for 15 minutes and hit the Middle Prong of Pigeon River, AKA Greenbrier Creek and turn into the park. Little less busy. Supposedly better fishing, and gets better the further up you go, with good access. Porters Creek and Ramsey Prong are tribs up there that looked particularly inviting.

There's also Roaring Fork. A big loop goes out of Gatlinburg and back into Gatlinburg. The downward part of the loop follows this stream. I did fish it, it was loaded with small bows. The loop is only a few miles but beware, the road is slow going. Windy, slow, and too many tourists.

Pcray -

I'm just reading a tourist booklet about gatlinburg that my wife has.
And they called it "pigeon fork"

Anyway, thanks for sharing all that good info.
I'm sure I can find somewhere to fish there. Roaring fork sounds pretty nice to me. I shouldn't be very far away from the rest of the crew.

Good stuff guys. I'll be there this fall with the fam, but I will have a day on my own to head off and fish in the park. We'll be in Ahseville and Townsend. I can't decide if I should fish the TN side or the NC side.

Yeah I'll be in gatlinburg! Thanks for the roaring fork tip pcray

Just got back from my Tennessee vacation.
We only had 2.5 days in the smokies. Unfortunately, I never got to fish. We had a car problem that I had to get fixed, and that caused me to miss the one day I had planned on wetting a line.
Probably just as well anyway, as the air temps soared into the high '90's everyday we were there.
I did drive the family over to cades cove from sugar lands visitor center one day. Along a very nice looking stream - not exactly sure of it's name - for most of the way. Saw many people swimming in it, and not one person fishing. So, I assume the water temp was kinda warm.
Anyway - it is a very pretty area. And I wouldn't mind going back someday with a little more time to fish - along with some cooler weather.

The stream you were along is the Little River. That section is generally the "tweener" section, where the lower end of the trout water overlaps with the upper end of the bass water, though neither are spectacular, and mid-summer like this it probably would not be anyone's choice for trout fishing. Farther up, it becomes more of a trout stream.

On the western side of the road as you approach Cade's Cove, you would have went by an intersection which takes you to the Townsend entrance. There the road you were on continues along the smaller West Prong, and a turnoff for the Middle Prong was there too. Those are good trout streams.

And on the western edge of the Cade's Cove loop, you would have been very near the upper end of the very famous Abrams Creek, which is essentially a limestoner that originates in Cade's Cove. There's a trailhead there for a trail that goes down along the creek to some falls.

Just got back! Fished a little on the little river and didn't catch anything saw a bunch of tiny bows dragging my fly under but were too small to hook. Did well on the roaring fork. Gatlinburg was pretty weird and sucked to drive through. I had a hard time fishing the roaring fork because of all the tourists. Letting there dogs jump in the deep pools and jumping around rocks I had to really walk up and find fishable water! Was totally worth it. All bows 8-10 inches

Yeah, Gatlinburg - and Pigeon Forge - were definitely too touristy for my tastes. Kinda reminded me of the Clifton Hill area of Niagara Falls.
Although we had a teen ager with us, who really enjoyed the hokey attractions - Ripleys Believe It or Not, the wax museums, and the go karts.
Fortunately, we only spent a few days there - before moving on to Nashville, and Memphis - which were well worth visiting!

Back