Slate Run Rod Selection

bigjohn58

bigjohn58

I've never fished Slate Run but am possibly thinking about going there this weekend. What size rod do you recommend? I know its a mountain stream but is it large enough for the normal 9' or am I going to have to go to my smaller rods?

You can fish it fine with your 9' if this is your preferred rod.

Take a shorter rod as a backup and when you get your eyes on the creek you can decide on the spot which to use based on your personal preference. Like Fishing Creek, it's a tough and moody stream, but it is slightly smaller scale; not especially tight quarters.

Thanks! Thats sort of what I was thinking and you just confirmed it. Still unsure what my weekend plans are but certain places are definitely ruled out due to all the recent rains.

Yeah, you could get away with a wide breadth of rods on Slate. It's all personal preference, and there's different spots where you'd probably ideally want different rods at times. I use a 7'6 rod there as a compromise FWIW, but that's because I don't have anything between that and 9'0 in my current lineup. I feel like an 8'0 4 or 5 wt would be my perfect choice, but I don't own one of those. ;-)

Agree with FI. Take a 9'0 and something a little shorter and decide when you get there.

I just fished there for the first time yesterday. I rolled with an 8' 4wt and found it ideal. Slate is mostly open so you don't have to contend with lots of overhanging limbs, brush, etc.

I used my 10 foot 4 weight when I was there, no issue.

The last time I fished there, I used my 6' 6" 4-wt., which was lots of fun.

It's been so long since I fished Slate (probably 25 years..) that I'm not sure I have anything worthwhile to add. But I used to fish it a lot and usually used my Far & Fine. At 7'9" it seemed a good compromise. I could get 50 or so feet of line out if I really needed it and held my breath and popped my eyes open real big and I could also flip 15 footers around the corner of rock ledges, etc. or punch a fly under an overhanging limb at 25'.

My 2 cents anyway...

With my little experience to guide me, I agree that any rod 5 weight and under will do. When you get up into the branches, as you might do if cold water seems scarce or high water dominates down low, a rod under 8 feet may be preferable.

I love using my far and fine - 7'9" 5 wght - on streams that size. Makes fishing them more pleasurable IMO.

Back