Slate Run/Pine Creek-Lycoming Co

mjkraw

mjkraw

Hello, I'm new to this board...me and a buddy are heading out for a few days to check out Slate Run and Pine Creek for the first time. I'm pretty excited to fish this area, as I've heard many good things. I was wondering if anyone had any tips, access points, other creeks in the area to check out, etc. We will be staying in Little Pine state park, and don't mind driving and hour or further for good fishing. Any info is much appreciated!

It's a beautiful area - you'll have a blast. Go check out the Grand Canyon of PA while you're up there.

Be aware that Pine Creek in that area is usually too warm for trout fishing this time of year... however, this year has been much cooler and wetter than normal. Nevertheless, expect warm temps and throw poppers for bass (that section is loaded with smallies, mostly small - but they're fun).

The small wild trout streams that are numerous in that area should fish very well. The actual stream named Slate Run should also be good, although that stream tends to fish much better after a good rainfall in my experience. If it's low and clear, I usually go elsewhere as I don't know the secret code for that stream under low and clear conditions.

If it were me, I'd focus on the small, wild trout streams.

Stop and see Sandfly at Big Meadow Fly Shop on Rt 6 west of Wellboro. He will give you good info for the area.

I have never fished any stream other than little pine up that way. Last weekend the fish on little pine would only take black buggers.

Big Pine I know gets too warm by Waterville, however I have heard it is good for smallmouth, although I have never tried it yet(planning on it this weekend).

From what I saw there are quite a few access points to big pine just parked along the road, don't quote me on it though since I never personally fished it and don't really pay attention to those things unless I'm going fishing.

Thanks guys. Slate Run and Cedar Run are 2 we plan on checking out. We'll probably stay away from Pine Creek if the temps are looking too high, and we're not really interested in fishing for smallies. Would Kettle Creek be worth checking out?

If you're looking for Trout, as FI alluded to, you'll mainly want to stick to the tribs of Pine and Kettle. There are many of them and they're all generally pretty good. Slate and Cedar get the most press, but there are many others of the same caliber. The main stem of Kettle from Ole Bull SP upstream may be ok too.

FI - I think the key to unlocking those trib streams like Slate is simply a rain event. Tough fishing period in low/clear water on those streams. The Browns disappear and the Brookies are ultra spooky.

FWIW, I'd recommend not overlooking the Bass fishing on Pine. The past few years I've done a trip up to that area in September and went in with the following loose plan of attack...If flows are up, fish the tribs for Trout, if flows are low, fish Pine for Bass. This way you're targetting each species in conditions that are best to catch them. The past two years flows were down so we mainly fished for Bass and did quite well.

lot of nice trout here in pine, water temps are cool right now above the canyon

I'm thinking about taking the wife & dog up to Little Pine State park over Labor Day. Would love to hear what the park is like if anyone knows.

will be crowded with people along with the slate run area.

Thanks sandfly. As I'm looking through the different parks, I think that's gonna be the case for most of them. Might have to try to do some State Forest camping or something to get away from everyone.

raftman, I'm sure little pine SP will be crowded, but it's a beautiful park with nice facilities. You might want to look into the walk in sites or some of the group campsites are actually pretty far up english run, away from the campground. I'm not sure what qualifies as group camping.

Thanks icy guides!

Staying in Ltl. Pine SP you are surrounded by excellent trout water. anything flowing has trout, many of the small streams are primarily brookies, but most are mixed for the entire length.

Asaph campground should not be crowded and is on a wild brookie stream

Well we are heading out early this coming Friday morning. We plan on getting to Slate Run around 7:30am. I saw there is a chance of rain on Fri and Sat, which I'm hoping will help w the fishing on both Slate and Cedar. Looking forward to fishing this area for the 1st time!

So I guess I'll bring this post full circle and report on our trip. We got to Pine Creek by the mouth of Slate Run around 8:30am on Friday. Started fishing the mouth of slate, and waded down Pine. Found a nice stretch down from the bridge, landed a smallie and this nice rainbow.
]pic[/url]

We decided to head up Slate Run rd, and work our way up stream. My friend Bob was the first to catch a brook, just below a very small waterfall. We are noobs to brook trout fishing, so to finally see them in person was awesome. We continued up stream and my friend Craig caught this brown, easily the catch of the weekend.
]pic[/url]

After we set up camp at Little Pine State Park, we headed back out, this time to check out Cedar Run. We entered the mouth at Pine, and tried to creep up stream as quitely as we could, not so easy w 3 guys. Craig caught this nice brook next to a log that was down on one bank.
]pic[/url]

A little further upstream, I was able to land this nice little brown.
]pic[/url]

We fished until close to dark, and called it a day. Our plan was to fish Slate and Cedar on Friday, and check out Kettle on Saturday. But we had so much fun on Friday, we decided to fish the rest of Slate we hadn't covered yet. Craig and Bob each caught a few more brooks, and I landed this little brown.
]pic[/url]

For our first time fishing this area, we were all really pleased w our results. I was bummed I was the only one who didn't catch a brookie, but I'm sure we'll be back. Thanks to everyone who helped point us in the right direction.

Back