Savage River, Md

Jlafko3

Jlafko3

Good day everyone, I am going to be spending a week in Maryland for work starting this Monday and may have some time to fish in the evenings. I've been wanting to try the Savage river for the last few years and now I have the chance to. Does anyone have some recommendations for where to go? I am going to bring my euro nymphing and my dry fly stuff along so either some swift riffly water or slower pool areas would be my target water types.

Thanks for the help, I'm super pumped up to give it a whirl!

They are numerous pull-offs along Savage River Rd and they are all good. Next major whitewater release is this Saturday, June 2nd. You don't want to be on the river when that happens!

The upper Savage above the reservoir, and it's tributaries are worth exploring. A great option if the Savage and NB are high.

90% of the river is pocket water but there are some pools. My recommendation is find a parking spot anywhere along the river and go. There are fish everywhere and the entire river has a very similar terrain. There is not one section that is better than another. As for flows you're looking for 200 cfs or lower. It can be fished higher but you would need to pick your spots. If you like to highstick a long rod you will do great. You might be able to go back through some fishing reports from the savage this time last year. I'm pretty sure I posted a few.

savage predicted releases

savage flow usgs

Thank you all for the info! I'm so pumped to get out! If the flows are a bit high, do you have any other stream recommendations in Maryland? Like a smaller limestone esque stream that may not flux as much from rainfall? I noticed rain is in the forecast the entire weekend.

ryansheehan wrote:
90% of the river is pocket water but there are some pools. My recommendation is find a parking spot anywhere along the river and go. There are fish everywhere and the entire river has a very similar terrain. There is not one section that is better than another. As for flows you're looking for 200 cfs or lower. It can be fished higher but you would need to pick your spots. If you like to highstick a long rod you will do great. You might be able to go back through some fishing reports from the savage this time last year. I'm pretty sure I posted a few.

savage predicted releases

savage flow usgs

Ryan and others have posted many stream reports for the Savage:

Savage River Reports PAFF

A lot of great info in every one of them. Good luck on your trip. Post a report when you return.

One other thing that I would strongly recommend is that you take and use a wading staff, even if you don't usually use one. Wading out there can be really tricky and I've found that a staff can be a huge help.

Good luck! It's a great river. Hope you'll post a report.

Bear Creek (Lots of Private Property), Yough (Tailwater - Sang Run/Hoyes Run Accesses), North Branch of the Potomac (BIG Tailwater), Casselman (stocked trout C & R) & the Upper Savage is a freestone with natives and stocked rainbows - every trib that dumps into it has natives. There aren't many other actual streams to fish in that immediate area to my knowledge.

Back