Saturday on the lil J

krayfish

krayfish

On Saturday, the day was a very early start for Caddis (aka NJ Tom). He left the Princeton area well before daylight. He picked me up at my place along with one very annoying dog. A quick jump over to Clarks to pick up my nephew and we were off to fish somewhere between State College and Barree. After a quick phone call, we found out that Chooch was going to drive DaveS to meet us in the town of Spruce Creek.
This was going to be a new water for Tom and my nephew. Hell, I haven't been there in 2 years or so. We met Dave streamside and started to rig. Even with 2 vehicles in the parking area and 4 anglers rigging up, a car wedged in and 2 fly fishers ran down to the riff ahead of us. No biggie, we were busy flapping our gums and getting rigged up. We headed down and slid in above them. After 10 minutes, my nephew had the first fish of the day and the other guys left. Tom headed up river 150 yards to catch the head of a run and Dave hung out with us. After nymphing the riff, I walked in with my nephew and Dave moved in. He proceeded to take 3 fish on less than 10 casts. My nephew was amazed. I explained that you have to cover all of the water and be able to identify where the fish might be sitting. It does you no good to fish water that won't hold fish.
The 3 of us moved up toward Tom to see how he was making out. He had 5. Very good start for his first trip there. We took a short break to observe the bugs, turn over some rocks and Dave found the mother of all shrimp. Dave was also kind enough to explain free living caddis. :) We had several small fish rising and it seemed they only had interest in taking your fly as you went to pull it off the water.
Back to the car for some snacks and some of Pottsville's finest. We decided to move up river to see if it was fishing a bit better than where we were. Chooch handed out a quick azz whoopin to Kramer and we were off.
We headed in past the old boat filled with human waste (very nice touch) and jumped into the riffle. Once again, the little guy drew first blood with the fish of the day. I think his smile says it all. He got so into it, you can see him trying not to **** in his waders. He didn't want to take a break. While taking a quick P break, Dave slid into the riff and took 3 more. Again, the nephew was amazed yet baffled why he didn’t catch them first. Just above us Tom was hooked up with what appeared to be a good fish but it came unbuttoned before he could get a look at it.
We wrapped up the day by heading back toward town to fish the last hour or so before dark. Tom was surrounded by rising fish. I took several little ones in the fast water on a snowshoe sulphur. Dave was having fits with the random risers in his pool. I headed up and Dave told me to have a shot at them and see if I could do any better. I fished for 15 minutes or so and whiffed on one or two fish. I was squinting to see rises, casting frantically but couldn’t seem to get hooked up. I hear a splash and giggling as Dave casts up behind me and hooks one. That was actually pretty funny and the guilty look on his face was priceless (Dave squatting near the bank). Thanks to Dave’s good eyes, I was able to get one more before reeling my stuff in. “Hey, that fish took your fly. I’m pretty sure it was your fly”…..and then I set the hook. LMAO. Not sure how that one even stayed on.
In summary we had some fun on a nice creek, some decent fishing and great company. This board has allowed me to meet some very good guys and some pretty handy anglers. Tom and Dave took time from their day to take my nephew under their wing and help. That is appreciated by me and Elijah. We will have to do it again.

Attachments

• THE chooch.JPG
    THE chooch.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 9
  • P6080470.JPG
    P6080470.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 4
  • P6080469.JPG
    P6080469.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 2
  • P6080471.JPG
    P6080471.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 4
  • P6080472.JPG
    P6080472.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 3
  • P6080474.JPG
    P6080474.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 6
  • P6080473.JPG
    P6080473.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 3
  • P6080476.JPG
    P6080476.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 4
  • P6080480.JPG
    P6080480.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 3
  • P6080491.JPG
    P6080491.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 6
  • look out.JPG
    look out.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 5
  • fish on.JPG
    fish on.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 4
  • P6080487.JPG
    P6080487.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 5
  • P6080489.JPG
    P6080489.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 4
  • P6080499.JPG
    P6080499.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 4
  • P6080500.JPG
    P6080500.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 3
  • P6080501.JPG
    P6080501.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 3
Nice report, fishin with dogs, lol, always interesting, does that dog bark at fish being played? Got your nephew hooked on fish early. Hopefully, it will keep him out of trouble like the outdoors does for most kids who get hooked. If he's going out the door at 4:30 am to go fishin, instead of coming in the door at 4:30, in a few years, that'll be good.

beast I walk in the door at 4 from fishing and often leave at 6 to go fishing hahaha

Great report and great pics of your day!

I do want to apologize for Chooch the Pooch taking exception for Kramer's youthful energy. Fortunately, she's no near a quick as Kramer! LOL!

Always good fishing with Krayfish. And fishing with kids is a good way to keep fishing. And seriously, Tom, they REALLY are free-living caddis. That part I didn't just make up!

Kray - always enjoy your humor and fishing reports. Nice fish for your nephew. I see he already has the classic Orvis "fish on" pose down pat.

The fish need to be on notice. With only 6 months under his belt, the little man is improving every trip. By the end of summer, I expect him to have a double digit day. He's already jacked up tofloat the Delaware again and steelhead are on his radar. I better get another set of tires on order.

Sounds like a great trip. You forgot a pic.......

Attachments

• KFishandNJTom.jpg
    KFishandNJTom.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 4
Here ya go Tom.... El Diablo. Don't look into his eyes or he'll steal your soul. Damn it. That dog is evil and annoying but I love him (for now).

Attachments

• el diablo.jpg
    el diablo.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 3
Nice report...until I saw the pics I thought Chooch was a person haha

Well, I'm pretty sure that "the chooch" is a dog and had the name first. There is also a forum member with the name chooch. I am fairly confident it is a human unless DaveS has trained the dog to type. If he did, I wouldn't be surprised. Lol

Ya sell him short, but I wonder if its by design.
You raised a great dog there. Even though Josh told me about the water faucet. WOW! :-o
And its really cool what yer doing with the nephew. That pic with him and that brown is awesome.

Great report on a great river. Sounds like you guys had a great day. That is a reall nice fish your nephew caught. Did he catch any on top or were they all on nymphs?

That brown in the picture was all him. I pointed out the lie. He casted, mended, hooked and landed it all by himself.

We have not graduated tp dry flies yet. Once he gets better at casting, fighting fish, knot tying and uunderstanding how to get a good drift...we're going to take it up top. I think he'll be ready after another 2 trips. All he talks about is steelhead and the trout he caught on the D. I think one trip to the salmon river in mid December should cure him of steelhead fever. LMAO. Just hope we don't lose any fingers to frostbite.

I cured myself of steelhead fever. I caught a total of 1 steelie up there this year. I tried avoiding the crowds and I succeeded only to avoid most of the fish as well. I really didn't enjoy it this year like in years past.

Back