Question on floating Shenandoah for trout

salmo-trutta

salmo-trutta

Can anyone tell me if there are sections of the Shenandoah that are good to float for trout and where to put in and take out? Also if anyone offers shuttle service for vehicle.

Why wouldn't you want to float it for bass? Both forks are known for bass fishing.

I realize bass aren't what you asked about - as far as I know, there aren't any floatable sections for trout. Perhaps there are some sections in the upper reaches that have trout on a seasonal basis but I would think folks are tight lipped about this. I only think of it as a bass river.

(I'm assuming you're asking about the river, not the park?).

That post is right. There is no floating for trout on the Shenandoah. Floating from Mount Jackson north, and the grottos north, are all smallmouth. The same with the Rapidan and Rappahannock. Excellent smallmouth fisheries, but not so much for trout. The Conway is floatable but rough if it is low. It does have trout though.

Check this link out: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/waterbodies/?type=2

As far as trout, you either are doing walking trips in the National park or going to south west VA. The closest floatable water I have to me is the south branch of the Potomac in Hampshire County, WV. Maybe even the capacon creek also.

Yo Steven, check your inbox. Sent ya a PM a while back.

Thanks guys!

Harry Murray has a lot of suggestions also if you email his shop. I have his books and such and they have been a big help. Like I said, most of Virginia's trout water is south west. If you guys ever go down, hit my up. I have never been down there and would love to take a trip.

charliepff wrote:
Harry Murray has a lot of suggestions also if you email his shop. I have his books and such and they have been a big help. Like I said, most of Virginia's trout water is south west. If you guys ever go down, hit my up. I have never been down there and would love to take a trip.

I am hitting SNP on the Saturday of Mothers Day Weekend. Or if blown out will hit the Savage tailwater or Big Spring.

my loose plan is to drive down from Winchester, VA to the Hazel, Piney and or N Fork of the Thornton.

i've never fished them either, but my MiL bought me a VA fishing licence for xmas :)

Let me know how you do. It has been a while since the wife and I have been out.

Geebee

Access to the Hazel is tough to find. It seems like you will coming in on 231. Might I suggest you drive a little farther, maybe ten miles, and fish White Oak, the Rose, Hughes or Robinson.

Just offering a bit of unsolicited advice...fishing is typically great at that time of year.

Thanks Tioga - i have detailed directions for those three.

i did want a small stream experience specific to the SNP. The rose, hughes and robinson i know are all good streams (and in Beau Beasley's book..) but i can fish similar streams in PA ;-)

I will check them out too onetime though.

Back