Pulaski NY \ Erie Trip - Need Advice

mute

mute

So I have a week to burn and I really want to experience getting into some bigger fish with a fly rod. I fish all the local SEPA streams like 6 months out of each year. You have your normal state stockies and your 25-30" club fish. Well i really want to experience the Pulaski\Salmon river type fishing where I can get into Steelhead\salmon\etc. Although its twice as far, I wouldn't mind doing a Erie trip either. Just something to spend 3 days or so fishing.

My time frame i have would be the month of June and some of July. However I have no idea if thats any decent time to get into any fish at these locations. Im looking for guidance/help/advice. I know Im going to need to purchase a bigger outfit as I only have a 2wt 4wt and 5wt rod. I really dont want to get involved with a guide service unless its on the cheaper side. Really just want to know if it would be worth going up in those months to get into some fish. And what exactly stretches and stream I should be researching to go to?

that time of the year will only be good for smallies and carp up there. most salmonoids will be off shore and deep.

Look into some saltwater either sandy hook or Barnegat Nj plenty of guides between boat and beach based. June is also a great month for stripers with plenty of 20lbs+ fish. And most will have rods available so you wont have to buy a new outfit since 8 wt would be a minimum. PM me and I can help you out further if you want to go that route.

If you want salmon/steelhead plan on end of Sept/Oct on the SR,if you go to Erie for steelhead the best time is Nov.That June/July time period is not the time for either!

Back