Potter county

D

Dcap240

I'm going to be in potter next weekend for work and I don't know the area very well but apparently we are going to be very close to the Austin dam ( or should I say what's left of it). I'm only going to have 3-4 hours to fish Sunday morning and I would like to keep driving to a minimum because its going to eat into my time on the water. Where should I go? Allegheny, sinnemahoning, Freeman's run? I know kettle is in potter but how far of a drive am I looking at? You can PM me if you wish. Thanks

You will be right in the vicinity of Sinnemahoning, so given your limited time, that is probably going to be your best bet. Allegheny is further northwest and Kettle is farther southeast from Austin.

First Fork is probably your best bet, if I remember correctly. Kettle will be a drive for you.

Yes there are at least one mountain to navigate to get from Austin to Kettle, so it could take some time.

first fork is your only legit option for limited time. kettle is probably 45 min from the austin dam and the only other options are small brookie streams or small stocked streams. first fork should be fishing really really well pending water conditions

Ah, Freeman Run? It's got trout. It's right there in Austin. that's your best bet.

I would fish either Freeman - I think a local sportsman's group stocks at the dam or First Fork. Kettle is too far for your limited time.

Ok thanks. If I could stretch my time an hour or two would I be better off going to kettle? I can leave earlier in the morning to be there at sun up so the only time I'm really losing is the drive back. And what should I expect up there? Caddis, march browns? Probably too early for sulphurs up there, no? Thanks again.

Dcap240 wrote:
Ok thanks. If I could stretch my time an hour or two would I be better off going to kettle? I can leave earlier in the morning to be there at sun up so the only time I'm really losing is the drive back. And what should I expect up there? Caddis, march browns? Probably too early for sulphurs up there, no? Thanks again.

Kettle is not any better then any of the streams close by where you are. Why spend time driving when you could be fishing.

Exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks brad

Back