Penns Creek - Lancaster Sunday News article

wgmiller

wgmiller

http://lancasteronline.com/sports/outdoors/penns-creek-brown-trout---they-re-big-there/article_ceca78da-e9d9-11e4-aff7-3b2fea5d3ba9.html

Censored

He sort of writes the same article every year.

I'm brand new to fly fishing (and little trout experience). Why does this article rub some of you the wrong way? I have no idea and I'm curious to learn. Thanks.

CaptainHook wrote:
I'm brand new to fly fishing (and little trout experience). Why does this article rub some of you the wrong way? I have no idea and I'm curious to learn. Thanks.

Doesn't really rub me the wrong way. Some will say it is a "spot burning" article and attracts unnecessary attention to Penns Creek. Others will say there are absolutely o secrets about one of the top five most popular streams (IMO) in the State.

The writer doesn't often write about fishing but again, seems like every year around this time he writes about his trip to Penns Creek.

I suspect the issue at hand is potentially drawing extra attention to Penns Creek heading into Spring hatch season, if that’s even possible.

This is a small newspaper out of Lancaster County. Penns Creek is probably the most widely known wild Trout stream in PA. Anyone reading this who is willing to drive 2+ hours to Trout fish already knew Penns was there and what it is. Anyone fishing the stocked farm ditches in Lanc. Co. looking for dinner doesn’t care. FWIW, the article is pretty much on point IMO…lots of fish, and a fair amount of decent sized ones, all of which are difficult to catch MOST of the time.

Penns Creek sucks

good article, thanks for sharing - i didn't know the upper section fished all summer.

Don't want to be a bandwagoner but I am interested in fishing Penn's Creek during my upcoming "PA Expedition". (Planned long before this article appeared.)

That said, where is the "Penn's Creek Trestle"? How does one get to it?

I've read about a tunnel that's closed that makes Penn's a tough place to fish.

I had hoped to make Poe Paddy SP my base for the day, but I'm flexible on that. I'm a novice and will be fishing nymphs, streamers and maybe some flymphs, if I get around to tying them.

Any patterns you can recommend?

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There is nice water from the Poe Paddy CG upstream as well. There is no need to deal with the closed tunnel. Of course with that, more anglers will be heading upstream, so if you put up with the hassle of going over the hill or around the rather long bend to get downstream of the tunnel you are likely to get more space.

i guess for what its worth (nothing) ill share my thoughts and opinion on it.

i dont see it being an issue as a "spot burn" per say because of how nationally well known it is. Sure, it may attract a few more fisherman here and there but you still have to be able to know where and how to fish penns. I for myself am still a greenhorn when it comes to penns.

i dont see it being any different than this past weekend where they held a fly fishing event on penns, spring and fishing creek and showing the leaderboard for each day online and some posting the leaderboard on social media, with sunday having a guy catch 50+ fish..

i have no quarrel with fly comps at all either.. i was going to volunteer this sunday if they needed me but they had it covered.

just a comparison that im making and forming an opinion on.

the only variable i can see where it may make people upset is that the article can/will reach more people than the postings/event pages such as troutlegend about fly comps..

but it is what it is

Does the DCNR prevent people that are not camping in Poe Paddy from parking along the road right there, or throughout the campground, or prevent folks from wandering about in the campground that aren't camping there, when the drake hatch is going and there are a lot of people trying to fish Penns?

Just curious, because last September I reserved two lots in Poe Paddy for Memorial Day weekend trying to catch the hatch to experience it. The campground itself isn't all that big with only maybe 30 designated campsites at the most and the sites themselves have a lot of room in between them. I am a little apprehensive that there will be people all over the campground near my campsite and stuff while I am away from it.

Due to overcrowding during the Drake hatch the PAFBC will be instituting a lottery system this year. Each lucky angler will receive a beat to fish (much like the competitive anglers). Stay tuned for updates on this new system.

Good thing no one published an article in 1958 in a national sports magazine about this subject.

http://www.si.com/vault/1958/04/07/576751/in-pennsylvania-penns-creek

PJ Reilly does write pretty much the same article each year, because it's how he does opening day and he's gotta fill a column some how.

foxtrapper1972 If I have campsites reserved in Poe Paddy, would I automatically get to fish Penns? I'd be pretty pissed off if I reserved campsites 9 months in advance and was told I couldn't fish.

PocketWater wrote:
foxtrapper1972 If I have campsites reserved in Poe Paddy, would I automatically get to fish Penns? I'd be pretty pissed off if I reserved campsites 9 months in advance and was told I couldn't fish.

Foxtrapper was being facetious. Don't worry - You will have plenty of access to Penns Creek from the campground and you will have plenty of company on Memorial Day weekend on Penns Creek.

My question is though, do they prevent people from parking all over the campground and keep people that shouldn't be in the campground itself from walking around near campsites and that sort of thing? While I am down fishing at 10 at night I don't need my camping gear to be up for grabs if there are 500 people walking around the campground that aren't camping there.

This is the first, and probably the last time I try and catch this hatch. I have heard nothing but negative things about it.

I have never stayed in the campground. I can tell you there are parking areas near the campground, a small stream side lot in the campground that I believe is open to anyone and there are also a number of cabins just past the campground. I suspect the campground is patrolled by DCNR. I have never heard anyone report any problems like you are fearful of. The campground will be full that weekend I suspect. There is also a camp ground a few miles away at Poe Valley Lake State Park. Don't get discouraged. It is a beautiful area and if the water level is good you should have good fishing. Just don't expect solitude.

PocketWater wrote:
My question is though, do they prevent people from parking all over the campground and keep people that shouldn't be in the campground itself from walking around near campsites and that sort of thing?

No. There is no security.

Put anything really valuable in your vehicle.

When you're fishing, maybe asking neighboring campers to keep an eye out on your campsite.

It's generally a pretty good group of people there at Poe Paddy. Fellow flyfishers and just family folks that like to camp and enjoy the outdoors. I never saw a single person around there that seemed sketchy. And I have on some other streams.

I've camped at Poe Paddy quite a few times, even during "the hatch", and have never had a problem. Not to say you won't, but as long as you keep your valuables in your locked car, you should be golden. Yeah, it's crowded, but the "vibe" is generally pretty laid back. People are there to fish and enjoy the big bend in the river, hopefully not to loot. That being said, I really haven't seen much presence from the DCNR when I'm there, which I kinda like....

Back