Open water this weekend? Central PA

StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin

Any open water, buddy wants to go to camp and fish? we will be in Bedford county but we'd be willing to go to State College area. Our first option will be Yellow C&R nearby, Spruce, and then the big 3 towards Central PA. PM is fine not trying to burn anyones weekend spot. Any info is appreciated. Tight lines.

Any good limestone stream should have open water.
I would try yellow creek

Nice all I needed to know, called a fly shop down that way earlier today and he said it had been cold enough he wouldnt be suprised if it froze over, but said couldnt be sure since it was a limestoner. Thanks a lot.

Your safest bet is to fish Spring creek below Bellefonte. Because of all the spring water that enters the creek at Bellefonte, that section is one of the warmest stream sections that you will find in the state during the winter. If you want to fish closer to where you are staying, I would try fishing the public section on Spruce Creek.

The public section of spruce can and does freeze up, but i don't think it's been as cold as last year when i went. Last winter my friend and I drove an hour to get there, dug a spot to park out of the snow and hiked into the stream to find it was 90% frozen. Only the fastest moving water was still open. Didn't catch a thing, but had the place to ourselves. It was strange because driving upstream every other part of the creek you can see from the road was totally open.

I am giving Yellow Crk a try on Sunday and I heard that stream has a real tough time freezing over. Worst case scenario is maybe the larger pools but not any runs or riffles. I guess I'll find out. If youcend up at spring, I fished Spring Creek in the gorge at this time last year and just hammered them on a sz 14 pink egg with a veil and golden drone stone.

Yellow fished decent for a cold winter day today, tomorrow prob a little better. Good luck. All the water was open.

StarvinMarvin wrote:
Yellow fished decent for a cold winter day today, tomorrow prob a little better. Good luck. All the water was open.

Just curious - you see any risers or catch any on top?
I've seen BWO's hatch there in mid february. But haven't tried it any earlier in the winter than that

Didn't see anything rise, the fish for the most part were very inactive, 2 of my fish came on size 20 Iron Lotus all from faster water. In the slow pools I could literally put my nymphs on their nose and not entice a strike.

Definitely tough fishing on YC at the moment. I didn't see any risers either and actually hardly the amount of fish I see in the spring/summer. Water was 37 and the fish were very lathargic. In addition, the water is gin clear and low. Caught 6 on a variety of stoneflies and eggs. Lost about 10 on sloppy technique/light takes. Still all in all a great time.

I didn't see as many either, but I'm sure they are there, just too many deep lies and crevices where the browns prob hold in that we just simply can't see.

Back