Oil Creek Hatches

P

Putyaonagurney

Anyone fish Oil recently? Any bug activity? Thanks!

Yeah any info would be greatly apreaheated for me as well.

Oil has been high and is blown out right now. Saw very few bugs this week. Just a couple very early Grannoms.

Fished the DHALO only area for awhile Saturday 4/18 water was fishable....a little high.....cold.......no activity bug wise. Tried wooly buggers and muddlers but no hits. Also saw a guy with his young son start to fish next to me with salmon eggs and bait. Son was maybe 12.....so I tried with a polite voice explain to the father that he was in a DHALO area and no bait was allowed or allowed in possession. He responded that they had been fishing all morning in the section and I said right there is the post and sign. Just letting you know so you don't wind up with a ticket . He said okay and moved out of the DHALO area. He was none to happy with me. By the way I was at Drakes Well area.

Does anyone know at what level Oil is fishable at according to the USGS at Rouseville? It looks like it's currently around 1000 cubic feet per second. And the average for this time of year looks to be around 600 cfs.

Also, is Mike at Oil Creek Outfitters still open? I noticed his website is not available anymore.

Here Fishy Fishy Fishy!

Mike is open March through mid November.
I've had good days at 1000cfs and lousy days at 300cfs. More to do with clarity, temp and hatches than flow. It usually fishes better a few days after a moderate spike in height. The lower park usually clears before the upper park.
This time a year, I like it under 500. I've had great dry fly action at 1000 but that's usually not the norm. .

Back