Oil Creek Fall Stocking

E

elguapogurn

Anyone fish Oil since it was stocked? Were both delayed harvest areas stocked? Also, what flies should I have handy?

So excited to go! Finally get a couple days away from it all to just go camping & fishing. Haven't been able to get out since late May.

Thanks!

They only stocked the lower DHALO area(by the Petroleum Center) this fall. It says they only stocked bows, but it says the same for Neshannock also and this past weekend I caught way more browns than rainbows. The past couple years they only stocked bows in the fall, but it seems the browns are back...

Fishing wasn't easy, but I had luck swinging and stripping smaller streamers in the tailouts. Tons of rejections, but if you stayed at it and casted your streamer to different fish they'd hit. Also got some on hare's ears(sz14ish) and a couple on sz 14 light pink glo bugs.

Thanks for the reply Streamerguy. Was anything going on top? Sometimes in the fall I can get lucky tossing out a beatle, elk hair caddis or griffith's gnat on top.

Saw a couple caddis, and a couple BWO's, but nothing really "fishable." One guy said he lost one on a BWO, and I tried some caddis but didn't get anything. Saw quite a few fish jump completely out of the water though, not sure if they were eating bugs, looking for pellets, or they just felt like jumping...

Anyone know how Oil Creek has been fishing these last few days? Thinking about heading up that way in the next day or two if we don't get a bump in flow on the Erie tribs.

Back