NC PA Smaller Streams

Z

Zak

So has anyone been on the smaller streams in Potter, Clinton, ect that were nearly bone dry from last summer. They're all flowing brim full right now but the reports out of the area have been slow to materialize. Are guys finding decent numbers of wild trout still or do they seem to have been very beat up?

Was up two weeks ago...Work trip to the cabin mostly, but snuck out a little. I briefly fished two Kettle Class A tribs. Well, one's a trib to a trib of Kettle. Skunk on both and didn't even see a fish. They were just coming down off of being bank full, and we're still cold though...probably too early and cold to get a good sample. I wrote it off as simply poor conditions, but I'm hoping that wasn't too optimistic.

Had plans to get up there for a long weekend during Turkey season, but that probably isn't gonna happen at this point. I was anxious to see how they'd fish then when things would be a bit warmer.

I was up there at the end of September last Fall...basically the last week before the rains started up. They were low, but definitely weren't dry, and there was still fish alive in them.

The few that I have fished so far have produced fish, but not in the numbers or size I have experienced in the past. It is early yet tho and the water is still very cold in some of the streams.

I have fished several in those areas the past few weeks. I think last Summer's drought coupled with heat, really did a number on the freestones. Creeks that traditionally fish very well for me, have been poor so far this year. I think its limestoners or bust for me from here on out.

Just remember it's early! I've never had a lot of luck on those smaller streams in April. Still cold.

been to slow so far, water is still high and cold

Me and a forum member are heading up Saturday for a week.He's very familiar with the small streams so I'll post up what's going on up there during the week

AFISHN wrote:
Me and a forum member are heading up Saturday for a week.He's very familiar with the small streams so I'll post up what's going on up there during the week
I'll miss you by a day, Tom. I'm headed home Friday. I plan on sticking to the southern end of the county mostly for the smaller streams, and then even w/ that, staying to the streams on the more medium size of things rather than the "truly" small streams.

Everytime you post, I think I posted something. My name is Zak and that is my name on a WVboard. Throws me off everytime and I think I'm losing my mind.

3oh4 wrote:
Everytime you post, I think I posted something. My name is Zak and that is my name on a WVboard. Throws me off everytime and I think I'm losing my mind.

This is a common problem.

While it's tempting to call people by their actual names (I'm tempted to do this too as I know many of you well) it is usually best to use their forum name to avoid confusion.

I can attest that the fishing is really starting to pick up on the smaller streams. A few I fished, did not fare well following last Summer's drought. That said, some did, and if you can locate those, you will do quite well. I had my best days of the year this past Sun/Mon.

Back