MD - Beaver Creek or Big Hunting Creek ?

geebee

geebee

Hi Guys,

I have a morning free on Saturday and thought i'd hit up one of the two above streams which are a short drive from the outlaws home.

i've read online about both, know where the access is, but i'm wondering which will fish best - forecast for early saturday is relatively cool. mid to high 60's and overcast - am I better to hit the spring creek or the high altitude tailwater stream (1700ft) ?

i tend to prefer the high altitude stream, but i'm wondering how busy each would be early saturday - say 8 ish ?

cheers

Mark.

geebee wrote:
i tend to prefer the high altitude stream, but i'm wondering how busy each would be early saturday - say 8 ish ?

Big Hunting Creek really isn't a tailrace. There's a lake there to be sure, but it doesn't discharge cold bottom water in the manner we associate with the Gunpowder or other cold release tailraces. BHC tends to get very low in summer and can have some warm temps. This year, however, temps and levels should be decent. There will likely be some other fishermen on a weekend but, in my experience on this stream (30+ years), there is much less fishing pressure than in the past.

Keep in mind that BHC is on the didymo list.

Good luck with your trip wherever you choose to fish.

Beaver is a fun stream to fish. Not very wide in the upper area just below I70, but it has a lot of fish holding locations. Browns (stream bred) are very colorful. In the lower strethces there are rainbows but i think they are stocked.

Friend of mine fished BHC a month ago and did well but conditions may have changed since then.

Dale

I just left Beaver Creek Fly Shop-restocked him with flies. James has been seeing action on ants. Nymphs did real well the other day for him. Stream was clear and in great shape.
Mike

I wouldn't rule out doing a little of both... Beaver has fished well lately with terrestrials, sow bugs, and Walt's worms. Beaver can be busy with people on the weekends and it does not take pressure well depending on the experience of the crowd fishing it. Big hunting can be a blast with stimulators and caddis with a pt dropper. The fish are spectacular looking in BH but on average much smaller. Good luck and have fun!!!

Easy-Beaver Creek. Holds some brutes and water temps are ideal. Consider this one a sister to Falling Springs. Take some terrestrials with you, but understand that the fish see quite a bit of pressure. With that in mind, don't be afraid to go against the grain by showing them something different. #16 Yellow Stimulators are your friend here. So are #16 Irresistables/Rat-Faced McDougals. I have caught my fair share there on those three. For terrestrials, I do not know if you tie your own and whether or not the material is still available, but I really like the foam bee bodies from Skilton(tie some with black hackle and some with brown hackle). Also like Skilton's green prismatic foam for tying japanese beetles incorporating black pearl ice dub and black hackle #14, #16. Hope this helps

Thanks for the info guys, I think i'll try to hit both.

I am aware that there are wader cleaning stations at the Joe Brooks memorial and peniel camp bridge, so i'll fish there first and make sure everything is cleaned properly.

cheers

Mark

Back