Loyalsock Creek, October trout?

B

booktrout

Thinking about spending a few days at Worlds End State Park later this month and am wondering if there are likely to be any trout in the Loyalsock? Are there any other creeks, rivers nearby that have trout this time of year?

Call Loyalsock State Forest and ask for their map. Free.

Just about every small stream in the state forest has wild trout.

The Sock itself has few wild trout. You might find some carryover stockies.

I recommend fishing the small streams. Your catch rate is likely to be higher than on the big creek.

^ What troutbert said. The main creek is devoid of trout in the park itself, and the feeder creeks have lots of natives.

There's several spots where wild rainbows grow.

I took the family up to Worlds End in late August to go swimming, and the main swimming hole at the bridge was full of rising trout. I managed to pick up 5 browns in the boulders and pocket water upstream from that, even though there were about 300 people splashing around. I told myself I would have to try again when the swimmers were gone.

Last weekend I set out to do that, but got distracted on the way and I fished Hoagland's Run from the state forest line below Shunk down to Elk Creek. The water was low and crystal clear, and I spooked plenty of wild trout with a streamer, then switched to a green weenie and tan caddis and picked up a couple holdover rainbows. With the recent rain, I would say that would be a good spot to try if you haven't already made the trip.

You can fish in the swimming hole?

Not from the bridge down to the dam, but upstream from the bridge you can. Hardly anyone was in the actual swimming area, they were all in the quarter mile stretch above where all the pocket water and boulders were. I asked about fishing the other side of the roped off area in the swimming hole and they said not during summer season. I am sure you can now though. I've seen guys fishing there before during buck season on the way up the mountain to hunt.

Reeder wrote:
Not from the bridge down to the dam, but upstream from the bridge you can. Hardly anyone was in the actual swimming area, they were all in the quarter mile stretch above where all the pocket water and boulders were. I asked about fishing the other side of the roped off area in the swimming hole and they said not during summer season. I am sure you can now though. I've seen guys fishing there before during buck season on the way up the mountain to hunt.
Ahhhh, okay. That explains it.

Yes, that area downstream from the swimming hole is an excellent stretch of water all the way to the fairgrounds. Just to sure to watch for water moccasins...I kicked up at least ten the last time I walked down that bank.

Back