Looking for advice and hatch report for spring creek for next week.

drumat26

drumat26

My coworker and I are being sent to state college for a week for training. I've never fished spring creek before and I'm hoping to get on a few fish. I am getting super excited about finally getting an opportunity to get a line wet in this stream. I've been trying to get up there for a few years and it just never worked out. Just looking for a local hatch report before we head up Monday. Thanks in advance and tight lines!!!

just fish green scuds with midges...you will catch your fair share of trout on that combo

i was there this past weekend and what worked real well were scuds, midges, and sowbugs. there were some fish rising but i didn't waste my time tying on any dry flies, i stuck to sub surface. good luck you will love it

You are at:

The end of the BWO's: May still be a few left, especially this year (as hatches are late), but they should be waning. Daytime hatch (somewhere between, oh, 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., depending on weather and so forth). Fish won't respond well if it's bright and sunny. Size 18ish.

March Browns: Not a traditional hatch on this stream, but the lower reaches (below Bellefonte) have been seeing them in the last few years, so the hatch may be recovering. Probably good timing for this one. Afternoon/early evening hatch, spinners fall right as it gets too dark to fish comfortably. Size 12ish.

Sulphers: Typically would be beginning the first week of May. Since hatches are late, you may be too early for this one, but I'd have a few on me just in case. Dinnertime or later hatch, spinners fall right as it gets too dark to fish comfortably. The early ones are size 14ish.

Other than midges and such, that's about it for the hatches, Spring isn't prolific with hatches. Nymphs of the above will work. And on spring creek, sowbugs are always a reasonable choice. If the water's up, sculpins are always a good choice as well.

This place is a good fly shop for supplies and the latest scoop on the fishing.
http://www.flyfishersparadise.com/

Good luck.

There are always midges, there may be some caddis, I don't go there expecting any hatches usually. That said Spring Creek is well known for Caddis and there are several good caddis hatches during the year, and a couple precede the Sulphur Hatch which is the big hatch.
I don't know if there is an early season Blue Quill on Spring Creek, but thetas a possibility, it definitely has them later in the year.

Sow bugs.. fished Spring in the Canyon and Fisherman's Paradise a few times with a couple buddies the past week and a half. 90% of our trout were caught on different variations of sow bugs. Good luck.

LOL, here is how you fish any stream you havent, go to the creek ,get in the water,turn over some rocks,see what nymphs are there,tie nymph pattern on your tippet,and enjoy your self.

Agree with the posts above.
Have some #16 cream caddis and some #16 craneflies as well.

Greenie worms!

Fished it on Friday. Caught surface fish on a tan Caddis and also on a Grannom wet fly just below the film. I saw a few yellow crane flies on the water. I always enjoy trying to catch every rising fish that I see :)

Don't forget a gold/yellow sucker spawn

Luke wrote:
Fished it on Friday. Caught surface fish on a tan Caddis and also on a Grannom wet fly just below the film. I saw a few yellow crane flies on the water. I always enjoy trying to catch every rising fish that I see :)

That's a lot of pressure to put on yourself on a stream like Spring! It's like Whack-A-Mole. Catch-A-Riser.

Back