Locust Lake State Park Area

Luke

Luke

I was looking at maps today and "discovered" Locust Lake State Park. I am wondering why I never really heard anything about this place as I have camped at a lot of the different state parks in PA. Is there any decent trout fishing around there?

It seems to be in the middle of a region where coal mining took its toll on the environment, so I am wondering if AMD is just a disaster around there.

Also, every blue line in the State Forest seems to be dammed to make a reservoir around that park; this seems strange.

I appreciate any experiences or information that you can share. I am always interested to explore new camping places.

Locust Ck exits the lake and between Locust Lake and Tuscarora Lake the stream supports a Class B brown trout population with a few brookies thrown in. It probably gets a little warm directly below Locust Lake so I recommend heading downstream foe about a mile to start looking for fishing holes. Or, hike the roadside access trail down to where the creek enters Tuscarora Lake.

Surprisingly Schuylkill County has a lot of streams with wild trout in spite of the mining. Even the Little Schuylkill and the Schuylkill have wild trout. Many of the tribs do too.

Shhhsshhh Chaz. There are no fish in Schuylkill County.
I caught more wild trout in the Little Schuylkill this spring than I have before (which is only the last 2 seasons). I'm not sure if I'm getting better or there are just more there this year. They are there though.

It fluctuates wildly.

I agree with Chaz.

Also, Locust creek is small and tight with lots of obstacles.

I have camped and fished there for 15 plus years. Fly fishing the lake is tough. Locust creek has some stocked and small wild Brookies too.

I have camped there once. It was a family trip but I did a little bit of fishing in the stream ABOVE the lake. It was a labor day weekend.

The lake is stocked. By Labor Day a good number of stockies had ascended the feeder stream, presumably to escape summer water temps in the lake, and were quite visible in the low water. There were a fair number of less visible native brookies up there as well.

I didn't do real well but I caught a few fish. Whether not doing real well means it isn't a real good stream, or just that it was Labor Day and the water was low, I don't know.

It was a pretty area, and we saw a rattler and a bear among other wildlife.

Back