Little Juniata River Shuttle

P

PATroutMan

Not sure if this would be the right forum..

Planning on floating the little juniata river tomorrow starting up at Tyrone and finishing near river rd and rt 305 bridge. I asking if anyone knows of a service that would be able to give me a ride back up to tyrone to get my car, or if any fisherman plan on being in the area could lend me a hand, PM welcome.

Thanks

I believe Rothrock Outfitters in Huntingdon will provide that service for a fee.

http://www.rothrockoutfitters.com/

I have no experience with them.

Stick yer thumb out if all else fails

Canoe trips are my thing and all of them have been in NC, PA, VA, and WV. Since I am driving long distances to get there it is really important that I have the shuttle arranged so I can limit this to one vehicle.

What has worked for me is to contact the local Chamber of Commerce to find local bait shops or retirees who they might know who I can hire to drive a vehicle from "put in" to "take out" for me. It has worked many times and eliminates having two fisherman deal with two vehicles to make a long day/weekend even longer.

Good luck!

When you say hire someone to drive a vehicle from "put in" to "take out" what do you mean by that? Do you give them your keys and they drive your vehicle from the put in to take out or something else?

Yes. It has worked well and I have made friends doing this. They ride with me to the "put in" and after I unload everything I give them the keys and they make sure my truck is there at the "take out" at the end of the canoe trip.

The "key" to a successful shuttle is to not misplace your keys. :)

You said a mouthful right there DW.

Car keys, or the lack thereof, can really screw up a day.
Still not over it completely.

DaveS wrote:
You said a mouthful right there DW.

Car keys, or the lack thereof, can really screw up a day.
Still not over it completely.

Yesiree bobby.

Suggest anyone doing the vehicle shuttle have 2 sets of keys. One for the driver to leave under the mat and lock vehicle. And a set for you to unlock vehicle when you arrive at the takeout.

In the future the Little J is not all that far from my house. Give me a notice of when you'll be headed there and I'd try my best to help you out. Give me excuse to hit the Little J while I'm up there.

I checked with the office at the Greene Hills Campground about someone to drive me up to the church in Spruce Creek after floating down. They told me to stop at the office in the morning when I want to float, and if their son is available he will take me up for $10. Haven't used this service yet, but plan to. I will just float down to the campground and get out right in front of the office.

jifigz wrote:
In the future the Little J is not all that far from my house. Give me a notice of when you'll be headed there and I'd try my best to help you out. Give me excuse to hit the Little J while I'm up there.

That sounds great, I might be contacting you in the future! I will PM you if the time comes. Thanks!

Arranging shuttle service was the biggest hassle when I was kayaking whitewater. I’ve biked hundreds of miles in some of the steepest terrain because I didn’t feel comfortable turning over my truck to a stranger, many of whom were identified in guide books as reliable shuttle drivers.

As we traveled further from home, single vehicle trips became the norm forcing us to rely on strangers? In 25 years of paying for shuttles, I have never been ripped off or taken advantage of in any way. I always made note of important details (name, address, phone#) in case my vehicle was not at the take out. There were many days in the southern Appalachians that imaginary dueling banjo music was playing in my mind as we approached the take out.

Back