Little Juniata Access Update!

ryanpgh

ryanpgh

From the 10/22/19 PFBC meeting tweet:

"In Huntingdon County, the Board authorized the acquisition of a lease of 4,690 linear feet of property along the Little Juniata River to provide public fishing access and fisheries management opportunities. Under the agreement, the PFBC will utilize funds provided by the Little Juniata River Association to pay an initial fee of $5,000 to New Enterprise Stone and Lime Company, Inc. for access to multiple parcels of land in Warrior's Mark Township, near Tyrone, PA. The terms of the lease will be revisited annually. The Little Juniata River provides significant wild brown trout fishing opportunities in the area."

If you see Bill Anderson or any members of the LJRA, give them a big thank you. This is great news for anglers who enjoy fishing the J as we've lose plenty of access over the last 2 or 3 years.

Yes, this is good news, and I agree that Bill and the LJRA deserve a nice "shout out."

time to put your money where your mouths are fellows. LJRA is covering the cost of the lease for the first year. LJRA's ability to keep it open will require donations.

You can make a donation on the website via paywall
http://www.littlejuniata.org/join-ljra/

The LJRA cannot foot the bill forever.

yes, Bill deserves the credit and it involved many hours of work and follow up between NESL and PFBC.

That's GREAT news. I'll be sending my check.

BTW. The lease agreement is not finalized yet. The land is still posted and people on the land are trespassing. There will be an announcement when it is completed. It would be a shame if we lose all access because of a few people's desire to fish there a couple of hours. Patience.

nymphingmaniac wrote:
BTW. The lease agreement is not finalized yet. The land is still posted and people on the land are trespassing. There will be an announcement when it is completed. It would be a shame if we lose all access because of a few people's desire to fish there a couple of hours. Patience.

BTW, New Enterprise only owns the land on the east side of the river.
The west side isn't/wasn't posted.
And as long as you get into the water from that side, and stay in to the high water mark, you aren't trespassing.
That's what I've been doing the since this started

I fished the J quite a few times in October. Seen vehicles parked in the area's that have been posted for a few years now. There definitely accessing the river through posted property. I would have thought by now anglers would have known that those areas are closed. Hopefully a few won't ruin it for the many of us that fish the J.

Thank You for keeping us informed on what's happening.

I am almost certain there is a PennDot right of way at the bridge where you can work your way down. I don't recall how many feet on each side of the bridge. Yes, the other side is not posted.
the issue is parking. They don't want people parking on the posted land. They understand people can fish the river up to high water mark.
As for the other end of limestone rd, people have to trespass to make it to the river.

Back