Little Juniata - Limestone Road

NewSal

NewSal

Anyone know the history of Limestone Road? My initial thoughts where that it was built as an access / shortcut to the quarry, but its kind of odd that they would pave an access road, also it is too narrow to fit more than one truck at a time, and there are no pull off areas for trucks to pass. It also looks like it was paved then shortly after closed because the topcoat looks in good shape. Interested to know the history of the road - why it was built, why it was closed etc... Quarry access? Railroad? Plans of a pump station that fell through? Private drive?

Nevermind I found the answers!

lol NewSa

And the answer is.....42? Now that you teased us with the possibilities, what did you determine?

lestrout wrote:
lol NewSa

And the answer is.....42? Now that you teased us with the possibilities, what did you determine?

Per Joe Reese of the LJRA:

It was used by more than just the quarry at one point (year, not sure). It was open until the last large flood. The flood weakened the road and littered it with debris so that it was unsafe and was closed (New enterprise owned the land and would be responsible). Ultimately the quarry fixed the major issues so that it was passable. They were trying to decide whether to open it to the public again. In the end they decided not to because before it was blocked off it was a major dumping ground for litterers. The LJRA agreed. During the first clean up tons of trash was pulled out of there.
The road will never reopen.

Per News Article of the Daily Herald of Tyrone, PA

THE DAILY HERALD, Tyrone, PA, Friday, May 16, 1997 ANb WHEREAS, pursuant to notice to an the affected property owners, a public hearing related to the proposed abandonment of a portion of Township Road 601, Limestone Road- Genslmore Road, hereinafter set forth will be duly held on June 3, 1997, at 7:30 P.M. at the regular meeting of the Supervisors of Warriors Mark Township' AND WHEREAS, the Township Supervisors have ttetef mined that a peflton of Wftrrl- ors Mark Township Road 601, Limestone Road- Qensimore Road, Is no longer necessary for public use and has t become burdensome to the Township. NOW, THEREFORE, be it enacted and ordained by the Township of Warriors Mark and it is hereby enacted and ordained by the authority of the Section 1. Putsuant to the authority vested In the Township of Warriors Mark by Section 101 of the Second Class Township (3P.S. 606-101) Warriors Mark Township Road 601, Limestone Road- QSflSl- more Road, being 33 fast W width and .46 mile in length, and located from the Intersection of Pennsylvania LR 483 to the Township of Warriors MatK Township Road 6d1; Limestone Road has become burdensome to the Township of Warriors Mark and Is no longer necessary for public use and Is hereby declared to be vacated. Section 2. From and after the effective dale of this Ordinance, the above described portion of the Township Road is declared to be vacated and no longer a public road of the Township of Warriors Mark. Section 3. In accordance with the provisions of Section 101 of the Second Class Township Code which revised that an Ordinance vacation of a portion of a Township Road, ail or part thereof, may be declared to be a private road, it Is hereby ordained, declared, and provtd- M maUhB portion of Warriors Mark Township Road 601, as hereinafter described and hereinafter being vacated, shall, upon the same, being vacated, become a private road and remain open lor the use of the abutting property, therewith, their successors and assigns; the present pr

Given all of the fishing pressure that the little j gets now. I think it's a good thing to have more of it walk in only.

I agree, I would not advocate to ever open the road. It being closed is definitely a good thing.

Back