Letort?

T

thesmayway

Can anyone post a link to the USGS stream flow for Letort? I'd like to go in the morning but i'm worried it's high and muddy. Nothing i've found is showing me CFS or gage height. What is a good flow and height?

Thanks!

Letort doesn't have a gage.
Conodoguinet (the creek it feeds into) is blown out and the lower Letort north of Carlisle may be dirty.

The upper Letort up in the FFO should be fine as storms have little impact on it, maybe a bit off color. Should be fine.

Was there yesterday on the upper section. Downed trees everywhere even on the trails, and the bridges have accumulated lots of debris. The water clarity was very chalky with so-so visibility, however Im sure its fine by now. Doesn't usually take that long in the upper section for it to clear up. BigS was the same, very chalky colored still, couldn't even see the bottom at the ditch. I didn't fish either, until I hit up FS where conditions were normal. Must have not got hit as bad in chambersburg area.

I live outside of Pittsburgh and saw on the news that yellow breeches was flooded 7 ft. higher than normal. I only know the yellow breeches out that way. Is this correct?

Blackfly wrote:
I live outside of Pittsburgh and saw on the news that yellow breeches was flooded 7 ft. higher than normal. I only know the yellow breeches out that way. Is this correct?

Yes.
We had another heavy rain on Saturday evening and this sent YB way up. It drops quickly but is likely still off color and pushing today. I'll be up that way tomorrow and will report what I see.
This week is the annual Rivers Conservation and Youth Camp at Allenberry so I hope conditions bounce back quickly for the kids. If the precip holds off, it should be very nice in a couple days.

Thanks for that update on YB. I hope it does get back in shape for those kids. I belong to 2 trout clubs out my way and we always send a kid to the camp. I wish I could have done something like that we I was young.

Unfortunately, we had another inch of rain yesterday with more in the forecast for tomorrow.

Both Breeches and upper Letort are still cloudy as of this evening. Both are fishable but visibility is limited - about a foot of clarity on YB at Allenberry.

If you can wait, it would likely be better to hold off a couple days if you're planning a trip to the CV. Once water levels start to clear, YB can fish very well.

Or maybe wait another week or so, forecast is for another 1/2 to 1" of rain on Saturday.

I've attached two pics, one just after the storm Tuesday, showing a crazy high Letort flowing thru town. The second is from last night (Weds), creek is still up a bit and off color. These were taken from the E. Louther St bridge, and I wonder if that shopping cart is the same one that got tossed into the creek under the 81 overpass a few weeks ago?

Attachments

• LetortHigh.jpg
    LetortHigh.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Letrotnext day.jpg
    Letrotnext day.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 3
Dang - it's rare to see Letort go over the channel walls in town. :-o

As for the shopping cart - it seems like there is one under every bridge in PA. That and a busted bicycle and washing machine. :roll:

Why in God's name would someone ever put a house that close to a stream? That place must have a basement full of water every day!

I bet it has a basement full of gigantic Browns.

Probably a trap door in the living room floor so you can fish for basement browns while watching wheel of fortune.

PBC be like "That be a prime location for a feesh hatchery"

Breeches is in considerably better shape today. Still high for June but clarity is much better than yesterday, especially the upper section.

Back