Laurel Highlands Hike In

N

nmramire

I just starting fly fishing last spring and have stuck to Mill Creek and Linn Run in the Laurel Highlands. I am wanting to explore and looking to go somewhere in or close to Laurel Highlands or Bedford Area and would prefer some more remote options. I understand that people can be protective of "their spots" so I'm not asking for anything specific but I would be happy if anyone could point me in the right direction. I would love a few miles of hiking to a stream or headwaters. I am from the Johstown area and love this region. I consider myself to be an ethical conservationist so I will treat any leads you give me with much respect. Thank you very much.

Nick

Roaring run natural area, quebec run wild area are two of many places that offer good hiking to fishing.

Quebec Run and Tebolt are two that require a bit of hiking/biking to get into. Tough fishing but beautiful area. There's several more tribs of Big Sandy which look to be potential brookie streams. Still exploring.

Don't hike much anymore but i used to and i can help you out with some directions , come to a Mountain Laurel TU meeting or PM , for starters try Laurel run in Tanneryville and some of it's tribs. That's probably the closest.

Thanks for the suggestions. Laurel Run, Tebolt and Quebec look like good options. I've tried to do a little research and from what I have found the natives are limited to the lower portions of these stream. Anyone have any luck higher up?

Up the one trib to Laurel run , i think it's Wildcat run , MILES.

You are near Bob's Creek at Pavia. If you drive up the forest road toward the Lost Children monument, you can enter the stream and walk for miles along a nice wild trout stream. You may get some holdovers stocked from below, but mostly wild.

http://lhtrouttrail.com/

beerbyrnes wrote:
http://lhtrouttrail.com/

i hope that's not a wild trout that she's hanging there.

it deforms their spine, and they die of starvation.

Looks like a stocker Bow to me, but still, yeah.

It was the first time I was ever on the site, I really don't know anything about it, but thought it would give the guy a few answers without burning anything special.

beerbyrnes wrote:
It was the first time I was ever on the site, I really don't know anything about it, but thought it would give the guy a few answers without burning anything special.

i wasn't criticising you buddy, its a great site - a real resource, just a lousy pic. PETA will love that one. doh.

Thanks for all the help. I ended up checking out Wildcat Run on Sunday and hooked about 10 fish and landed 6. http://t.co/NmSxLUHH This was the largest of them all. Had a blast.

Way to go man!!!! It's been 10 years since i could get up there i wondered and was hoping for you if they were still there.......NICE!!!!

Wildcat and baldwins are my two wild trout streams I fish the most and the closest to me, still great populations of native brookies all through the mountains, that's a good one for wildcat

Kinda scary asking for info on native streams when the only other fish picture in your album are gutted underneath a spinning outfit. :-o
Dig your dog though.

Nothing wrong with catching stockies and eating them and fly fishing for natives and letting them go, people can do both... I think

kill20ducks... make your way over from fisherie, eh?

i know for a fact you have fished larger streams that have tribs spilling into them w. a ton of wild trout.. why don't you go out and find the fish rather than take the spoon from the guys who wanna do shoulder shrugs by spilling their knowledge on here?

sissy-la-la's

The Mill Run that Quebec Run flows into also requires a hike in and is accessible from a couple of places and holds trout all year.

Back