Lackawanna

KeithS

KeithS

Anyone driven over the creek lately?
Should I bother to drive up there?

Flows are around 90-95 cfs with good visibility and 40° at midday. Flies to try are midges, stones, and bwos. Got the information off of orvis. (Updated 2/1/16)

Thanks.
Where does Orvis have stream data?

Thanks.
Where does Orvis have stream data?

Have you seen the stream lately?

Found the Orvis stream reports.
Still hoping someone has seen the creek lately.

Thanks, Allan.

There is a USGS gauge for Lackawanna River.

I went up Thursday. A&G is a great shop. Very helpful with stream knowledge and a good selection of flies. The stream was nice. No fish caught. I only fished about a mile due to time constraints but will be back.
Chaz, I did find the gauge site. The stream varies a lot in depth in just the section that I fished. It was ankle deep in some of the riffles, but running deep and fast on an adjacent outside bend.

A&G is a nice shop. Adam and Greg are always friendly and helpful. My assumption is that you walked the rails-to-trails section behind the shop down to the riffle/deep pool on the Dickson/Throop border with the big boulders across the river from you?

I fished from Parker St. up to where the river splits above the old half of an iron bridge.

Yes, the Lackawanna has big changes in depth, sometimes not entirely obvious. Caution is warranted. And, the fish are not evenly distributes. And they move from section to section. It can be frustrating and very rewarding.

Yes it can and in many places considered by many as unfishable, the biggest fish tend to make these areas their homes.

If you are not familiar with the river and drive a ways to fish, it can be very disheartening as fish move often and many anglers leave fishless and frustrated.

I've never made the short drive north to fish the Lack but I've always been curious as to how the creek stays cool enough for a Class A wild trout population. Are there springs?

Millsertime wrote:
I've never made the short drive north to fish the Lack but I've always been curious as to how the creek stays cool enough for a Class A wild trout population. Are there springs?

The Lack is probably one of the few rivers ever to be helped by deep coal mining. The water is actually cooled by flowing through the abandoned mines, which allow wild brown trout to survive/thrive.

Here is a little info on the Lack: http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/lackawanariver.html

True, the Jermyn outfall, just upstream from Archbald, is a significant source of cold water and helps keep the river cool all summer. What a visitor may not know until they arrive is that raw sewage and urban runoff are problems with every decent rain event.

The river can have a foul odor at times.

It can be challenging to find a scenic section. This is easier to do when there is full foliage around the river. There's no mistaking it runs through an urban corridor.

I'm not trying to scare anyone off. I mention this in the interest of full disclosure.

Is the lack fishable today? Thinking about making the trip up.

Bobert540 wrote:
Is the lack fishable today? Thinking about making the trip up.

No, the Lack is running very high.

Bookmark the USGS site (below) and you can check on flow info for most rivers and streams throughout the state.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/current/?type=flow

The river is still very high. In fact, it is raining here now so I would say it will take a week or so before it goes back down. We got POUNDED with rain last week...2 inches in only a few hours on frozen ground leaves a lot of runoff.

Back