Lackawanna today...

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

I really have the itch to get out on the water today but will it be worth it with this balmy 18 degrees outside and two feet of snow? I figure the river is running okay now but accessing through the snow might be tough. I think I am going to try it but should I just stick with small streamers or would it be worth going crazy and tying on a stonefly dry imitation?

Does the Lackawanna stay ice free with this kind of weather? If so, that's great, impressive.

All the places that I fish on it are free of ice...

The upper part freezes over but Trophy Trout downstream stays open. There's mine water that helps regulate temps to some degree.

18 degrees? Felt like 50 in Sepa today... Either that or 25 just feels warm to me now.

Well no fish today but a really nice day out. Not much going on on the river...managed to lose my license off my wading jacket but then found it downstream under a sheet of ice along the bank...what are the chances? I figured it was gone but I was lucky. Threw streamers and some midge patterns (zebra and rs2) but no fish for me! Oh well, the weather has to warm up soon...

I would get too excited about seeing little black stones except for the fact that they kind of tell you the olives are getting closer to hatching. I can't recall seeing a trout rise to a little black stone. I don't think the fish care for them at all and wouldn't waste my time imitating one. There's my 0.02

Oh trout love the LBS's, but it's a tough hatch to catch, here today and gone tomorrow kind of thing. Fished Roaring Brook once during a decent hatch of the bugs and did really well. On the limestone streams when they're hatching the trout can get wacky. All the LV streams have them and in big numbers.

used to fish the broadhead and hit the LBS really good, fish would rise to them. A nymph or wet soft hackle works better though.

krayfish wrote:
I would get too excited about seeing little black stones except for the fact that they kind of tell you the olives are getting closer to hatching. I can't recall seeing a trout rise to a little black stone. I don't think the fish care for them at all and wouldn't waste my time imitating one. There's my 0.02

No, they don't usually pay much attention to the adults but they feed heavily on the nymphs. At this time of year, on many streams fishing an LBS nymph is not a waste of time.

I fished the DHALO of Pickering Creek last year in early march and made a note of some elongated black bugs I thought were caddis at the time (shows what i knew) ... and that a size 16 Black deer hair caddis was doing really well for me on top... it's a little circumstantial but in my mind now after the fact, i've marked that down as a LBS....

mikesl wrote:
it's a little circumstantial but in my mind now after the fact, i've marked that down as a LBS....

Yep - highly likely.

Back