Killington, VT area

P

PSUhorty

My sister and husband own a lodge in Killington and I recently visited for a family reunion. Didn't pack any gear as I didn't think there would be any time to fish. Well, turned out that I did have some time, grrrrr.

Anyways, did do some hiking of some small streams in the area. They were beautiful and also looked like they could (and should) hold some natives. I spoke with my sister's property manager and he said there are natives in the streams nearby.

My question to anyone in the forum who is familiar with the area is this: Next time I visit (probably spring, although she wants me to come up in October), is it worth me doing some small stream fishing up there?

Just ask the regional fisheries biologist for that area.

I never fished that far north in VT, but I did fish in the Dorset area and loved it. Mix of native brookies and wild bows/browns.

PSUhorty wrote:
My sister and husband own a lodge in Killington and I recently visited for a family reunion. Didn't pack any gear as I didn't think there would be any time to fish. Well, turned out that I did have some time, grrrrr.

Anyways, did do some hiking of some small streams in the area. They were beautiful and also looked like they could (and should) hold some natives. I spoke with my sister's property manager and he said there are natives in the streams nearby.

My question to anyone in the forum who is familiar with the area is this: Next time I visit (probably spring, although she wants me to come up in October), is it worth me doing some small stream fishing up there?

Yes, Vermont is a great place to fish for native and/or wild trout.
I suggest you stop in or call the Orvis store in Manchester. On my last trip up there, they directed me to some really nice streams to fish. Ask for Dale the Fishing Manager. He can give you some direction about the best streams to fish depending on the current conditions. Have a great trip.

My in-laws live in Vermont so I fish there quite frequently. You could ask around, but I would just really get out and explore. VT is completely different up there compared to PA. The water belongs to the people, so if you can find access, you can fish any stream in VT (plus they don't post land up there like they do in PA).

I typically use Google Maps and pick an area with a bunch of streams and then go from there.

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

I wasn't much of a small stream guy, but spent a decent amount of time in Quechee. The ottauquechee has a few good spots, pre-Irene there were holdovers, but not sure how the stream has recovered.

Below taftsville bridge, the golf course and below Simon Pearce were decent locations. The white river was known as a better trout stream, near bethel and Randolph were good locations, with a FF only section.

Kent pond near Kton is stocked. Otter creek, further north and west has good trout fishing, a trophy stretch and toothy critters.

I'm headed up to my sister's place near Ludlow, the first week in October. Hopefully I'll get some fishing in. The Ottauquechee's source is not that far from Killington. You'd have to check a map, but River Road, which can be accessed off of either Rt 100 or Rt 4 parallels the upper river, haven't really fished that stretch, but access can be tough. I've fished the Ottauquechee many times between Bridgewater and Woodstock. There are several pull offs along Rt 4. I fished Kent Pond over the 4th of July. Picked up a couple largemouth and a bunch of sunfish. A mile or so north on Rt 100 from Kent Pond on the left is Colton pond. It's stocked with Largemouth and brook trout, picked up a bunch of little bass and one brookie when I was up there. It's definitely worth checking out small streams in the are. Most will have native brookies in them. October is the peak of the foliage season, one of the reasons I'm heading up. If you plan to head up there in the spring, I'd suggest late May, mud season is over, and the spring snow melt should be almost finished but the black flies will be just warming up. No guarantee though. I usually head up around Memorial Day, and I've been snowed on twice in the last 10 years.

Back