Kettle Creek

Schultz

Schultz

Hey guys,

I've been reading this forum for awhile and finally decided to make an account earlier this week. This is only my third season fly fishing which means I have SO much still to learn.

I will be camping this weekend with my dad and a few friends in Kettle Creek State Park. I was wondering if anyone knows of any "must fish" places on Kettle Creek itself, or what tributaries to fish. Obviously I'm not asking for anyone's secret spot, just some general guidance as this is only my second time in the area.

Also, any recommendations on what flies to throw this time of year in Kettle Creek? Are there certain patterns and specific flies that stocked trout seem to like more than they should? We'll most likely fish for stockies opening day and try and attempt to pursue some wild fish on Sunday.

-Tight lines,
Brian

It'll be cold, opening day of trout season on Saturday for that region. Little water won't be turned on yet due to temps, best to stick to the big water. Try Kettle just upstream of the Alvin R Bush dam where it's real big. Lots of stockies in there, but you'll be battling crowds all weekend. Buggers for sure, but I would imagine hendricksons are getting ready to come off, so red nymphs. Also caddis.

Thanks for the response! At what water temperature would you say the trout become more active? The USGS meter at Cross Fork has the temperature hovering around 50 degrees.

Kettle will be warmer than say, Cross Fork Creek itself. If its really 50, then you'll have a blast.

I hosted a mini-jam up there, usually the 2nd to last weekend in April, and the small streams fished like crap. We had to fish the Pine or Kettle to get into fish. But you'll be able to find fish. Finding room to fish is another issue. Crowds are gonna be sucky!

kettle is more like 46 degrees along with pine. all are cold and up. some with slightly off color to them. Hendrickson's won't be active for another 2 weeks. right now little black stonefly's and a few early 18 caddis. there's still snow up here in some areas and even a few roads iced over yet

Schultz

Sasquatch and Sandfly are pretty accurate on there post. I have a place in the Kettle Creek Valley and was there last weekend. As of last weekend water was very high up in the woods in some places and very cloudy. But when I left there Sunday afternoon water had dropped about six inches and was starting to clear up nicely. I've been watching it all week and the flow should be around 1.80 in height on the USGS gage for opening day. She always fishes pretty good at 2.00 to 1.50 on the height gage. Kettle is still cold and the tribs will be colder and not fish great. If they get a couple of warm days up there in a row. You'll see some hatching activity (Hendricksons and Quill Gordons,Black Caddis). Get flies down deep, nymphs and buggers and of coarse don't forget to try some wetflies and you'll take some fish. Good luck

Let's all keep in mind the fact that this is the latest the season opens, nearly a week later than last year. I was up last year about this time and had great fishing with small black caddis, Blue Quills, Quill Gordons and Hendricksons hatching. Fish were very willing to rise.

I was on a small freestoner near my house today and saw Little Black Stones, Blue Quills and Quill Gordons hatching. If they're hatching here (this stream is COLD) I expect they will likely be hatching on Kettle.

Thanks for all the responses! I'm really looking forward to this weekend. It looks as if the weather is supposed to hold up nicely. The USGS gage at Cross Fork is at 1.97 feet currently, which should mean it'll be at a great level come Saturday morning even with the little bit of rain this evening.

I'm heading to the same area tonight, going to try to get on the water for a few hours before dark, I'll be staying in Wharton all weekend, good luck!

What Old Lefty said. Kettle was excellent this weekend. Listening to the folks in the know always pays big dividends.

I was there late yesterday afternoon. Fished 'til about 6:30. Not much happening; however, took a couple on top as well as some subsurface.

I saw stones, mayflies and caddis. It's happening!

And, now, the rain....

I did well swinging wets on Saturday and Sunday morning. My friend did well on a BWO parachute. Went to dinner in Wellsboro Sunday afternoon, and made a few stops on the Pine Creek and had the pleasure of watching several fish rising to caddis. Saw a gentleman doing very well on a local wet fly pattern that he shared with me.

And now the rain.

did you have a good weekend? I was camped at Ole bull last Saturday night.

Well Saturday was hot, nearly 80 degrees, Sunday about 70 Degrees. Water warmed from 42- 44 degrees to about 54 by mid-afternoon in the area. Pine and it's tribs, were up, as were all the other streams in NC. Kettle being the last area to warm was probably a bit cooler then Pine.
Brookies were not hitting.
In spite of the wide swing of temperatures everyone seemed happy to catch fish.
I was up from Thursday through Monday, while the mornings were cool, I was fishing without a jacket all 4 days I fished. The only bugs were some caddis but I didn't see a single rise.
The brookies weren't active where they were stocked, and the wild ones, seem to be only haft interested.

I ended up having a pretty good weekend! Didn't see much in the way of any fish rising though. I caught most of my fish swinging streamers as well as black and white wooley buggers. I'm hoping to get back up there the first weekend in May.

Back