Ken Lockwood Gorge

F

fisherboy3

Anyone have any tips on this place? Ive heard good things about this place from many people. I was thinking about fishing it saturday in the rain. Not looking for honey holes, just an idea on where to get started. Shannons fly shop in jersey stocked it earlier this month, not sure if there are wild fish in it too. Anythings appreciated.- Kev

http://njmonthly.com/articles/best-of-Jersey/on-the-fly.html

Although I've fished it a lot over a 40 year period, I don't think I've ever hit it in winter, so I can't advise as to flies. I can say, though, to prepare for pocket water, and you're probably going to want a fair amount weight to get on bottom.

You can drive along the stream starting at the upstream end for about half the length of the gorge. There's a parking lot at the end where the road gets blocked off. (The road follows the whole length of the gorge, but you can't drive on it past the parking lot.) I would start at that lot and go either upstream or down as the mood strikes you -- that way you'll never be further than about a mile from your vehicle. (Something I consider to be an important consideration in winter.)

Good luck. Let us know how you do.

Fishing was a little tough. Only ended up with a couple small bows. Fished the meat hole, and up and downstream of the lot. -Kev

Fishing a freestone in winter when it's raining can be more that a little tough at times. Glad to hear you at least got a couple.

Yeah it was good to get out though. Talked to a guy who said he had 6 and a few other nice fish as well.-Kev

Back