Juniata River help?

drumat26

drumat26

Potentially going to the Juniata for the first time Saturday for bass sunfish and carp. Any specific flies I need to tie before i go. Anybody know of any good helgramite patterns?

Also, I'm always interested in a buddy to fish with .

White poppers, white gartside gurglurs, chart/white clouser minnows, crayfish, and murray's hellgrammite. If you have those you will do fine.

I always seem to do well on a big olive or brown wooly bugger on the Juniata. Like size 4 or so. That river definitely has a lot of crayfish - a lot of the bass I've caught lately have puked up bits of crayfish they've eaten once I brought them in! Good luck fishing. If I weren't working Saturday I'd offer to go with you.

I can go out Sunday too. If your not working then.

#26 trico spinners....

In all seriousness, as mentioned, the river is filthy with crayfish. Take big buggers in black, olive or brown. You can't go wrong working a bugger. When you wade, you can just see the crayfish scurrying across the bottom. Other than that, beeber pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Buggers as mentioned above and don't be afraid to throw a big hopper on top either..........just sayin............good luck...BTW where are you planning to fish?

I was thinking of fishing in the area just south of SR 1020 (Meadow Grove Road). There is an exit right there that I think I can park on. I was looking on Google maps and it looks like there is a good set of rapids down through there for like a mile or so. I was also thinking of going up to Millerstown. I was working up there before and saw some carp under the RT 17 bridge.

Is there a different section should that I should go try?

Drumat-the meadow grove spot is good...some of the riffles are fairly deep. Drive back down 322 and park along the 4 lane. You will see where others park.

Don't know that spot, I've fished the J a few times though. +1 to beeber's comment- you should get into fish with those flies.

drumat26 wrote:
I can go out Sunday too. If your not working then.

Eh. I'm working night shift all weekend. Then in the evenings I usually like to spend some time with my wife. Wish I could though. Good luck! I'm sure you catch some bass.

drumat, did you get out on Sunday? If so, feel free to post your report onto the end of mine in the "stream reports" section since it was the same day. If I was staying in state college longer I'd offer to meet up next time, but I don't have any idea when that could be.

A number of good wading spots along Rt 103 in Mount Union. The river is small enough that it fishes well while wading and the gradient and current is not too challenging. Look for pull off spots with riffles and holes. Crayfish and white/silver fall fish imitations seem to work best for me. Any large bugger will work as long as it is olive or olive with blue high lights. Bring you felt and cleated wading boots. The Juniata can be challenging to wade.

LongWader wrote:
A number of good wading spots along Rt 103 in Mount Union. The river is small enough that it fishes well while wading and the gradient and current is not too challenging. Look for pull off spots with riffles and holes. Crayfish and white/silver fall fish imitations seem to work best for me. Any large bugger will work as long as it is olive or olive with blue high lights. Bring you felt and cleated wading boots. The Juniata can be challenging to wade.

I favor the upper Juniata around the Mount Union/Newton Hamilton/ McVeytown area...good places to fish.

Back