Juniata/Little Juniata Float Trip planning-Need some help

P

PATroutMan

Going out to the Juniata this weekend for a 2 day float trip and camping on islands. We are planning to start up at Tyrone and work our way down from there. Not sure how far we want to go yet. Has anyone done anything similar to this in the little Juniata? Or does someone have a better option instead of this? Any help or suggestions will be beneficial.

There is one section on state forest land in the Barree Gorge. Check with the state forest people about camping there. I'm guessing that it's not permitted there, but I'm not sure.

The rest is private land. Don't camp on private land without permission from the owners.

i know every island on the river. There are may be two large enough. Camping would require you to clear live brush and trees. I would hope you would not destroy the surroundings of this beautiful river.
there a few places on the banks, but as troutbert wrote they are owned by individuals, the RR or New Enterprise stone.
especially keep in mind that the stretch between the junkyard and the spruce creek trestle is owned by a women who does not take kindly to people doing anything other than fishing on her land- that includes camping.

Your best bet is probably to camp at Greene Hills Campground.

http://www.susumcamps.org/index.php/facilities-rates/primitive-tent-sites

This is below Barree a little ways.

That way you'd have a nice place to pitch a tent, a fire ring, bathroom and water.

I've never camped there, but everything I've heard about the place has been positive.

Thanks for all the help guys, good info

This site might be helpful. Has the water trail on the J, but don't think it officialy goes up into the Little J.

Official Site

Aside from the camping question, you want to make sure you have enough flow for whatever type of boat you'll be using.

The Little J at Tyrone is not really big water.

If you float the little j and the main branch of the j, be aware that you'll have to portage around the warrior ridge dam. If you have kayaks and not that much gear, it shouldn't be too big of a deal, but if your carrying a lot of extra, heavy gear, it can be a real pain. From where you have to take out to where you put back in, it's about 1/8 mile walk, with the first half being a heavily rutted dirt road.

http://www.littlejuniata.org/flow-rates-on-the-j/

Bill's assertions are very accurate in regards to floating. I wade more aggressively so i feel his scale for wading is more conservative.

What side is the portage on?

evw659 wrote:
If you float the little j and the main branch of the j, be aware that you'll have to portage around the warrior ridge dam. If you have kayaks and not that much gear, it shouldn't be too big of a deal, but if your carrying a lot of extra, heavy gear, it can be a real pain. From where you have to take out to where you put back in, it's about 1/8 mile walk, with the first half being a heavily rutted dirt road.

lol - My roomate and I went out for an afternoon canoe trip many years ago. Started in Water Street and we figured it would be a pretty quick trip back to the college. After we passed the mouth of the Little J the river got slower and slower and the wind picked up. Eventually we see this wire across the river with a sign on it. That's when we learned about the Warrior's Mark dam. Portaged around it and stupidly put the canoe back in as dusk set in. Came to our senses when we realized we couldn't see well enough. Carried that aluminum canoe, two paddles and assorted gear the rest of the way back to school. Finally got back thinking everyone would be looking for us. No one had even noticed how long we were gone. Most of them were already out partying. I joined them soon after. Good times.

The portage is on the left side of the lake just above the dam. When you get very close to the dam, you'll see "do not enter" type signs. There's a small inlet that goes back to the portage location, as long as you stay left while coming down just above the dam you'll find it. Check out google maps to get a better look...

I've seen lots of people camping in the rothrock state forest (gorge) area of the little j.
From the info I've got, you can do primitive camping on state forest land for one night without a permit. For two nights or more - a permit is needed. Primitive camping being defined as backpacking or paddling in to an undeveloped camp site

May want to check out the second page in this document concerning juniata water trail. Specifically states no camping in little juniata natural area in rothrock, which I think is most, if not all, of the gorge section.

Document

Hilarious! I did virtually the same thing with friends when we were at Juniata in the early 80s. One of our crew (from New Jersey, go figure) spotted the wire and thought we should just paddle over the dam! Did the big portage to the left (good choice) and only managed to lose one of the three canoes in the rapids between the dam and the college. Wrapped around a rock. What a great trip.

My first comment is to not do more than 6 miles a day. If it is a fishing trip you want time to fish. Doing midnight runs to reach your car can take some of the fun out of a canoe fishing trip.

Use your canoe to your advantage. Focus on areas of rivers that are hard to walk to. Avoid the popular fishing spots to minimize angler/canoer conflict.

Back