Hershey Trout

Millsertime

Millsertime

I'll be camping at Hershey this weekend. I've done some research on trout waters near (less than 25 miles approx) but nothing looked great. I'm not looking to drive over and fish Letort, Big Spring because I'll be having a fairly new FFer with me. I'm looking for water less technical but that still holds decent amount of holdovers, or had a fall stocking, or an average or better wild trout population.

PM's are great. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Matt,

You may be close enough to Stony Creek in the Fort Indiantown gap area. It is accessed through Cold Spring Road. Its a rough road up over the Hawk Mountain but once down to the creek and Up again to a parking area. You can access the rail bed that parallels the stream. Its a "hikey" fish but the country is beautiful. Its also hunting land so a Sunday fish would be best I suppose. I like the area downstream a a mile or so (20 minute hike on the trail).

You can also park in the area where you cross the stream and fish up or down but I've always found the fishing better along the rail bed downstream. Its kinda hit or miss as the stocking truck only stops every mile or so. If you are not finding fish, move on til ya find them.

Hopefully someone with better intel than me for this year can chime in. Good Luck.

Thanks Maurice. That looks pretty secluded. It looks like Stony runs parallel with Clarks, which I was thinking about as well.

Clarks gets a fall stocking I believe...might find more fish there. And they might be still on the terrestrials, Less walking too, if you are willing to drive over there.

The DHALO section of the Quitty is always an option. No wild fish and I'm not sure about a fall stocking but it always seemed to hold fish into fall. May be able to get into some terrestrial action still. Don't consider it if you want scenery and seclusion but it is close to Hershey.

I would guess Clarks is very low.

Matt, McSneek is right, DHALO section of the Quittie may be a good option. Not secluded but the first phase of 2 phase stream improvement was completed early this year to provide better holding areas and movement for fish. Also had a stocking in early October. Very easy to get to from Hershey. Manada Creek DHALO is another possibility. It is one of my favorite places as not many others fishing there and some sections have decent number of fish. However, the last time I was there (about a month ago) water was very low and rain has not been good. Clark I absolutely love because of its beauty and seclusion. I usually fish above Dehart Reservoir but when I was last there water was very low also. Another thing, in that area (and much of Clark) the creek runs through State Game Land and I believe we are in archery season so caution and orange should be the norm. The FFO section was to have gotten a stocking in early October. I have never fished that far downstream but I have heard it is nice and good fishing after a stocking but, of course, more fishermen. Water levels may be better down there as it is below the dam and they may control flows. I don't know.
Hope some of this helps.

Thanks guys. That should suffice for a couple hours fishing with a newbee. Troegs first then fishing.

Clarks is a bit thin right now but the rain is a comin. The quittie may be the most user friendly for a newbie. You could always park along indiantown run (ft indiantown gap) and poke around for stragglers or walk to mouth at lake Marquette. Lots of room there for casting. Anywhere in Stony, Clarks or the gap.....check for ticks afterward. Seems to be a hotspot for them.

I would recommend Clarks as well. There should be some holdovers. Caddis dropper with green weenie is usually a good setup there.

Its about 45min max from Hershey but "The Run" on yellow breaches would be another great spot for a first timer if you are looking to catch fish.

Back