Hell Run, Lawrence County PA

S

skunked

My older brother said he had fished Hell Run, a few years back. I was wondering if anyone has fished it recently and had any tips for the area as i would like to make a trip there soon. Thanks, any feedback would be fantastic.

Skunked - I checked it out some time ago on Google Earth and there were some pictures added at certain spots (touristy spots....lol...), and it was my guess that it's one of those places you just need to put some walking into, to find the typical spots...

I'll probably check it out next time I get to Slippery Rock Creek.

There's also a stream report here you can check out:

http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/stream-reports/stream-reports/hell-run--lawrence-county--05%2F04%2F2011/8,19114.html

I'll send you a PM when I get home.....

thanks DanVerona and streamerguy i appreciate it

I have gone to mapquest (I think it is) and did the satilite view close up. I found it pretty amazing what you can see. Understanding that when these maps were made may have been a few years ago.

thanks pennypackflyer i'll have to give that a try

I fished it once on August, not the best time of the year to fish it. It has a wild BT population and is very beautiful. It's a tough hike, I went in from the bridge at Slippery Rock Creek hiked to the stream from there, then fished up to the top. Then a hike down hill again. If you go take someone with you and take 2 cars, park one at the top and one at the bottom.

Another one of the advertised wild trout streams that has suffered from too much pressure thanks to its inclusion on pfbc wild trout listing -- class a I believe -- and here on paff site. It holds wild trout but won't hold up to the potential pressure it could receive especially where it's located. One of the ONLY wild trout streams in the area.

thanks chaz and yeah greenghost being from near beaver, pa my options are very short in that sense

greenghost wrote:
One of the ONLY wild trout streams in the area.

One of the only wild trout streams included in the PAFBC stream listings....

There are more. A surprising number actually.

There are a few forum members whom I suspect secretly live in Hell's Hollow. They are driving past and over a number of wild trout streams to get there. There's other options, just takes a little research, educated guessing, and the courage to strike out once and a while to find them.

PennKev wrote:
greenghost wrote:
One of the ONLY wild trout streams in the area.

One of the only wild trout streams included in the PAFBC stream listings....

There are more. A surprising number actually.

There are a few forum members whom I suspect secretly live in Hell's Hollow. They are driving past and over a number of wild trout streams to get there. There's other options, just takes a little research, educated guessing, and the courage to strike out once and a while to find them.

+1
Check the lists, Kevin is right. There are other wild trout streams, but to think that Hell Run is not fishing as well as it should because of Class A listing is crazy, yeah the trout may be spooky, but if you take your time and use the right flies you catch them. Class A listing give trout streams more protection then it would otherwise get if it wasn't on the Class A list. It is an EV stream the highest level of protection stream gets, it is an exception stream as far as water quality.
If you're saying it gets a lot of activity, well it probably does, because fishermen are lazy and won't put the time in to find other wild trout stream in the area.

Penn Kev, love your avatar . LOL!

+1 PennKev...I have been pleasantly surprised a few times by taking a chance and fishing waters I've never fished before. Not just for trout but other species as well. In my experience you have to lace the boots up a little tighter and put some miles on. It's worth it.

Back