Hay Creek, SE PA

Wildbrowntrout

Wildbrowntrout

Hay is one of the creeks that is right near my house and I used to see people fishing in a park in Birdsboro, near the mouth. This year, I haven't seen anybody, and there are no more approved trout water signs on the trees. The stocking schedule still says it gets stocked from back 82 to the mouth. Does anybody know if they stocked it there this year? (I belive it is "Mainbird Park")

It was stocked.
I went and watched the opening day activities on 4/2 in the Rustic Picnic Area, which is upstream from where you are talking about (if you are talking about the small park right off Rt. 724)
Saw lots of fish being caught.
Went down there again this week just to walk a bit and there were a few people fishing, didn't see any catching or rising fish.

Thanks for the info. Might try to catch some survivors tonight or over the weekend sometime.

I once fished that same area right after a stocking. It was memorable mostly because I caught 5 stream bred browns and only four dumb stocker rainbows. Also remember catching three stream breds on no. 20 bwos right after the annual Derby/snag fest. Shocked me that trout would rise during the steady commotion. Makes you wonder what would happen if they ever stopped stocking Hay. Doubt we'll ever know; at least not in my life time.

Went down to the park this afternoon and caught a 13" rainbow that was rising underneath the new bridge on a sz 14 quill gordon. Van, you're right, they'll never stop stocking hay. Too many people fish it, and that's helping to sell licenses.

WBT, did you get out since the stocking on the 18th?

Ace, I went out the day of the stocking and got into 2 chubs. Saw a couple follow my friend's spinner, and one in the water. Pretty slow.

Fished it the first day and a few times since.

Think they are gearing up for the rodeo this weekend so not sure how they do that and if its allowed to be fished. I realize this is a can of worms of sorts here, saw some of the old threads on the rodeo. I'm impartial, like super impartial, being both a member of sportsmans(really just for apa pool leagues and a local place to drink) and a tully tu member. Anywho, all that aside just a heads up in case you try to fish there this friday or saturday, I think it's "closed" at least in the rustic park area.

Anyway, with that out of the way. I had zero luck nymphing and throwing buggers first day, although due to crowds I really only fished one hole. Caught about 5 stockers and a bunch of chub on bait in the same hole over about an hour. Even some stocked brookies which surprised me.

Rustic is nice and close in town, and plenty of room to sling flys around. Was down there yesterday and saw a few risers but no nibbles. Im out toward gibraltar so I usually go up the rock hollow end, had good luck there pretty much all last year.

How'd you been making out on hay lately? Haven't been out to it yet.. I'm sure there is lots of fish rising at old 82

I haven't caught anything since the first day, but then I haven't fished it hard. Mostly just a half hour or less on the way home from work. Haven't got up to the other end of the closed road yet this year so I've got no report on that end. Hope to change that in the next couple days or this weekend. I won't be going down to rustic this weekend that's for sure.

I wanna get around to trying some of the other small creeks around as well. Being only my second year here in Birdsboro and a new homeowner and step dad doesn't leave lots of free fishing time. Have plans to explore antietam, tully, sixpenny, and allegheny in the future though.

I'll give you the run down. Six penny creek is very nice stream at the mouth... Just hard to find a place to park and a price of stream that's not private. The upper ends hold brook trout but water gets super low and I try and stay away and leave the Brookies alone. A majority of the stream is off limits due to a old quarry. Allegheny is the prettiest streams around here in my opinion. Looks like a Colorado freestone stream in some parts. It's ashame how fast the water warms though. Tully receives a lot of pressure and fish get educated quick but good place to fish in the fall! Antiedem creek runs right by my house and holds wild fish. Never had luck with the stocked fish as they seem to be spooked super easily. Antiedem is good for smallmouth and you'll catch wild Browns here and there in the spring and fall. I've caught smallmouth up to 5 pounds in that small creek. Big smalles swim up from the skuke to spawn or cool
Down in the summer months. Lots of big fish stay all year.

Jessed, I haven't fished it since I went to the second stocking. Also, I saw some people at sixpenny a while back with a dog that both ran into the woods, even though I was coming out the same way they were going in. Had a conversation about where they should go. Still always wonder if they were members on here...

At the bottom of the creek?

I drove over to the allegheny after school and water was absolutely freezing. Couldn't see much into the water but I did see a fish that appeared to be a decent size trout

I have off tomorrow so thinking about where I should go

I'm new to the area so I don't know any spots. I'm only looking at allegheny down near the mouth and aqueduct park as the srt goes right over it but I saw a lot of posted signs down there.

I really wanted to look at sixpenny only cause I saw where the road goes right over it on the way to FC park on 345. Figured that was a good public place to start.

I really hope to try and fish the mouths of many of these from an anchored kayak off the skuke, soon or in the fall. I know very little of spawning or running trout in and out of rivers. I just figured it would be a great way to access many of these small streams starting at the mouth. Kayak down the skuke, drag the boat up and wet wade a while upstream, move on to the next one. It's an adventure I hope to bring to fruition this year at some point.

Thanks for the info jessed. Been really happy to move to an area with so many trout streams even though I know next to nothing. Feel like a kid in a candy store. Coming from the Perky watershed I'm really happy to be in this end of Berks now.

I'm pretty sure there's fish down by the mouth of the allegheny. They stock that all the way to the mouth of that stream. Make sure you don't go on the left side of 345 because it's totally off limits.

Thanks. I usually tread lightly and have a pretty good nod and a wave.

Rangers will get ya if they see a car parked along there they usually check. Seems like they have nothing else to do. You can get in trouble or jump of the 100 foot quary lol

Back