Gunpowder flow.

hunter1

hunter1

Going to fish the Gunpowder in MD tomorrow. Flow right now is 260 GPS. Might sound silly but I never have fished it above 180 gps. Do you think 260 gps is to fast to fish in. Gauge ht and temps are fine. Was thinking of hitting Falls rd section to the dam. Thanks.

I fished it yesterday for the first time in a year and had lots of smaller browns smacking my streamer. I fished below Masemore and water was definitely moving in some areas but it was fishable for sure.

Thanks 10r. I'm already packed and ready to go. I never fished the upper falls rd, Every place else on the river. Thanks again.

You should be fine at those flows around Falls Road. Avoid crossing in faster currents. Fish will be stacked along seams in bigger holes and banks. Size 20 stone flies and midges are a good choice between 12-4 PM.

It's a great flow to fish it at, perhaps my favorite for the top section. If I were you I would do upper falls trail and fish up or lower falls trail and fish down to the bridge. Not a big fan of the area in between the two when flows are up, I love it when flows are around 30 though because there is still a ton of water. Good luck.

Thanks all. Tight lines.

I'm back from the GP. Falls rd. Views were great, went to the second parking area. What a hike, my 69 year old bones ackh . Views were great. Caught two fish in the pools on a sculpin. Great time , Thanks guys.

hunter1 wrote:
What a hike, my 69 year old bones ackh .

I find the trails down from two parking lots above Falls to be deceptive. When going down from the second one it doesn't seem like it should be particularly hard coming back, but it's much worse than it appeared. Going down from the first make you wonder if you're going to be able to get back, and it turns out that it's not a very hard climb at all.

redietz wrote:
hunter1 wrote:
What a hike, my 69 year old bones ackh .

I find the trails down from two parking lots above Falls to be deceptive. When going down from the second one it doesn't seem like it should be particularly hard coming back, but it's much worse than it appeared. Going down from the first make you wonder if you're going to be able to get back, and it turns out that it's not a very hard climb at all.

That's interesting, coming back lower falls doesn't bother me but upper does, especially if it's a straight shot coming back from the spillway.

That's actually what I was referring to, counting "first" as the one closest to bridge (the lower lot.)

Back