Gunpowder Article.. Any thoughts ?

There's no doubt that fishing in Gunpowder has been slower this year than last, mostly due to high water. I don't think the city's management plan is at fault; there's just been a lot of precipitation this year. Even if the reservoir were lowered, the ground has been pretty much saturated since last fall; the majority of all rainfall is going end up as run-off.

link is dead

It's good with threads such as this for the OP to include a summary or short version/introduction of the story that precedes the link. This courtesy to the readers allows them to decide whether they want to follow the link due to their interest in it.

Not sure what happened to the original link, but here is the new link:

Gunpowder Article

The Gunpowder is my home water, and I fish it a lot, although I have not fished it this year for other reasons.

Personally, I think Theaux from Backwater Angler is overstating the impact, and I also agree with redietz - there has just been a lot of rain. Not sure what they can do about that. Historically, the City of Baltimore has not managed the flow properly during LOW flows, but I can't find fault with what they have done so far this year.

I also fish the Gun but I'm not an expert to the historic maintenance of flow as I've only fished it for the past 7 years.

Flow has been higher so far this year on average than the last 7 years I fished but so has other streams.

The fish are there, but not always in the traditional holding spots. Got to go find them.

I haven't fished it as much this year as I normally have done because of the high flows. I've found a lot of 2011 and 2012 fish from the spawn, good for the future. Last week while fishing it, I saw numerous fry in the back eddies.

The larger fish are there but harder to get their attention. A couple days during the sulfur hatch was a good indicator of bigger fish being present.

There are a lot of blowdowns in the river at areas I fish, plenty for fish to "hide". Also in the areas I fish, I've seen some bank deterioration.

As for anglers who have had trouble wading this year and have previously fish the Gun, observing the flow should have indicated to you that you should not be wading in certain areas. It's called common sense.

Dale

The loss of woody debris if due to the kayakers cutting it out. It was a hot button issue a few yeas ago. BelAirSteve, you should get out and explore the rest of Baltimore county. You might be surprised at what you find, such as the amount of brook trout or wild trout streams in general. If you want more help, send me a pm.

Steve

Hurricane Lee washed out most of the woody debris. This caused a bigger impact then anything, even dydimo. The kayakers did cut out strainers, but that didn't effect the fish, just illegal activity. Structure is critical on the Gun. Also, a flow at 250 = difficult fishing and wading.

Back