Guides in Montauk Long Island

salmo

salmo

My son and I are looking into fishing Montauk in late September to Mid October. We were hoping to get a local guide for some inshore fishing. We will be both fly fishing and spin casting. Are there ny recommendations for a guide and boat?

Paul Dixon is quite well known and, I believe, has a group of guides that work with him.

Paul Dixon is the top rod out there.

if he's not free (or any of his guys) i know former guide Amanda Switzer recommended Ernie French or Jim Levinson.

I hear good things about David Blinken too.

It would help if you can be flexible on your dates, typically the best guides up there will be booked up 9 months in advance. They might have a vacancy here and there but thats primetime for the 'zoo' up there.

Amanda is sadly retired now, but she was respected as one of the best, but those guys are very fishy - if the fish are around they'll find them if the seas permit.

best of luck.

Mark.

Hook Shots Video from a trip to Montauk. Going to be a good time for you up there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxTc-SEhuIY

My blood pressure is way up just from watching that video.

Thanks for the information. That video was amazing. I booked Dixon for the middle of September. I know its early but it was the only date my son and I could make. Hopefully I will have some pictures to share. Wish me luck. I hope to catch my first saltwater fish on a fly rod.

good to hear. i hope you get an early fall.

I fished Montauk with Paul Dixon on Saturday. My saltwater rod is still a virgin. It was not Paul's fault, but my poor casting ability. There were three of us in his boat. We took 5 false Albacore on spinning tackle and numerous blues (the largest was 19 pounds) all on big plugs and Sluggo Lures. I would recommend Paul for anybody interested in a Montauk trip.

PM Moosehead_Belle. He's from Long Island.

Salmo; go to the Montauk marina, there you get more info than you need. Montauk is about 2.5 from NYC by LIE (Long Island Expresway)
September is excellent for blue fish, huge ones.
You can use "party boat" (7am or 7pm departure), they have everything (including snacks) on the board. Don't miss superb seafood bars there!
There have many tournaments for sharks and tuna, so join the crowd by the weight station.
If you want fish in-land, go to Orient Point, they bottom fish a lot.

PS:I just read the message you aready went to Montauk, well I hope you have had good time! :cool:

Attachments

• Long_Island_Morning_exposure_on_Ectachrome64_35mm.jpg
    Long_Island_Morning_exposure_on_Ectachrome64_35mm.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 3
nice going salmo - those fat alberts and big blues are a blast on any kind of tackle.

Back