Gov't shutdown closes Valley Creek

L

lestrout

Reading today's Daily Local News (a very fine paper), the front page has a great pic (by the steller photog Tom Kelly IV) of the Valley Forge NP closing off a trail. Sounds like that gov't impasse is hitting home.

Yep.
We're dealing with the situation as best we can here in Gettysburg. I'll bet that fly shops and guides out around the big western national parks are really worried that, if this lasts a long time, they could suffer financially.

Just in time for the spawn. Another wonderful fringe benefit of anarchy.

What could they possibly do if one plays 'stupid' and decides to go fish one afternoon?

If there are signs saying its closed, they could cite or arrest you for trespassing.

I think, but could be mistaken, that national parks are public property but managed by the national park service with rules and regulations. If someone stopped you, which is unlikely since everyone is furloughed, then you may be able to argue that the land is public but the facilities are private.

May or may not be worth the trouble

phiendwmd wrote:

If there are signs saying its closed, they could cite or arrest you for trespassing.

Trespassing on land we own? I might head out there tomorrow or Friday so we shall see tho I have never seen a ranger there when the govt was operating ...

wildlife-monkeys-hear-no-evil-see-no-evil-speak-no-evil1.jpg

It would be impossible to claim that you didn't know. Why do people think they can do whatever they want at any time ?

Time for a revolution. time for everyone to storm OUR public lands and let these a$$holes know who is in charge. WE are in charge, these are OUR lands, this is OUR country, not thiers. yet right now OUR so-called representation, is holding us hostage.
REMEMBER THIS AT ELECTION TIME!!! I say every single one of those idiots in congress must go.

tyeager wrote:
I think, but could be mistaken, that national parks are public property but managed by the national park service with rules and regulations. If someone stopped you, which is unlikely since everyone is furloughed, then you may be able to argue that the land is public but the facilities are private.

May or may not be worth the trouble

The National Park Service is not a private group. It's a federal agency.

bikerfish wrote:
Time for a revolution. time for everyone to storm OUR public lands and let these a$$holes know who is in charge. WE are in charge, these are OUR lands, this is OUR country, not thiers. yet right now OUR so-called representation, is holding us hostage.
REMEMBER THIS AT ELECTION TIME!!! I say every single one of those idiots in congress must go.

Some politicians have created, and are supporting, this shutdown, others are not.

Remember which was which at election time.

That's the whole idea as set up by the founding fathers.

tyeager wrote:
I think, but could be mistaken, that national parks are public property but managed by the national park service with rules and regulations. If someone stopped you, which is unlikely since everyone is furloughed.....

I can't speak for other parks but here at Gettysburg, the Park Service law enforcement rangers are "essential" personnel and are on duty. They have been instructed to ask people to leave. I don't know any more about the operational rules, but suspect they could arrest someone for failure to comply with the requirement to leave.

Fishidiot wrote:
I can't speak for other parks but here at Gettysburg, the Park Service law enforcement rangers are "essential" personnel and are on duty. They have been instructed to ask people to leave. I don't know any more about the operational rules, but suspect they could arrest someone for failure to comply with the requirement to leave.

So you're telling me if I want to walk the battlefield right now I would be told to leave because it's "closed?" The American public should show up enmasse at these open air places like VF, Gettysburg, The National Mall and send the message that we're not taking this BS anymore.

I think the NPS is trying to actually look out for your safety and the security of the grounds and artifacts.
If they're working with a skeleton crew, they don't have the normal resources to ensure either. It's not their fault.

KeithS wrote:

It would be impossible to claim that you didn't know.
Why?

KeithS wrote:
Why do people think they can do whatever they want at any time ?
Decent amt of people "do(ing)whatever they want at any time" this AM. Not a ton, but some biking and running ... maybe they didn't know.

KeithS wrote:

I think the NPS is trying to actually look out for your safety and the security of the grounds and artifacts.
If they're working with a skeleton crew, they don't have the normal resources to ensure either. It's not their fault.
LMFAO

Stagger_Lee wrote:
KeithS wrote:

KeithS wrote:

LMFAO

Double LMFAO

Now that you're missing your both cheeks of ***, Can you explain how it's funny?

KeithS wrote:

Stagger wrote

KeithS wrote:

LMFAO

Double LMFAO

Triple LMFAO cause without government you can't walk in the woods or fish a creek .... for your own safety of course.

I find the statement that the NPS is looking out for my safety to be patently absurd. I am not safe walking through VFNP to get to the creek unless some ranger is on duty somewhere within the perimeter?

You may or may not be safe, I don't know. What they're saying is they can not guarantee that there will be any way to respond to any emergency.
The place is closed. The people who run it, whether you own it or not, won't allow you in. What's so hard to understand?
Whether you like the government or not doesn't determine the laws you have to follow.

Back