Fly fishing only section of the perkiomen???

kenbo5733

kenbo5733

I understand there is a fly fishing only section of the perkiomen creek above green lane reservoir with possibly some wild trout although I thought that area was private near church road and towards Hereford if not can anyone tell me how to reach that section im really not trying to spot burn, thanks

I fish there every now and then. Coming from Pennsburg, take 663 west past McDonald's. Turn right onto schoolhouse rd then a hard left onto church rd. The parking area is clearly marked on your right not too far up ahead. You should find rainbow and brown trout there. Should be some bass noe too I would think as it warms up.

The section of FFing is from the Reservoir to 200 ft. above Church Rd. The trout are stocked once in the spring and once in the fall. Though there are wild trout there, it's posible they've moved out with the hot weather last week. The water is all open to fishing from the reservoir to Toll Gate Rd. in HEreford Township, however the Toll Gate Rd. access is closed due to bridge construction. There is another section from Toll Gate Rd. accross from the little Industrial Park, in the unstocked section of the creek. Everything from Toll Gate Rd. downstream is stocked, but has wild trout also. The population of wild trout is expanding downstream, due in part to the efforts of Perkiomen Valley T.U.

Hey chaz whats up with those ladders upstream from tollgate??? Is that for fisherman to get over the barbed wire or something?? Always wondered about that.

They are for fishermen to get over the fence.The little trib just above Tollgate Rd also has wild trout,thanks to PVTU,although it's very tight fishing.Good Luck.

no luck needed ha. I fish it up by the trailer park and haven't been skunked once yet this year down there. I haven't even fished tollgate or anywhere downstream this year I've been having so much fun up there.

well that's not totally true, I fished the perk down below green lane once or twice already. About to start back up nightfishing down there again for the summer.

what I wanna know is where the hell the indian creek is? haha

is the area near tollgate road public? I understand that the area near church road is

Yes there is an area open above Toll Gate Rd. But state above Ferrence Rd. and you'll be okay, one landowner there jumped on me for fishing his section. When he said he was going to contact TU about doing some work on the section in question I told him he just did. Ha ha! He doesn't want anyone fishing there because of truck followers trashing his land.
Anyway the section above Toll Gate Rd. can fish very well early in the morings and early in the season. There isn't a lot of trout, but they are fairly easy to catch.

I take it ferrence is that little closed road there??? That guy used to let people fish that honeyhole there, I think a large tree fell and turned up the roots and its real deep. Then I remember one trout day there were people camped there with a fire and tons o trash afterward. It started being heavily posted after that I think. I've never been bounced from there though, I'm short though and tend to crouch when I fish a bank like that so maybe he just never sees me ha. Been a year or two since I've been to tollgate though. Now I wanna go try those ladder things out haha.

Paskiingsucks,

Are you fishing on posted property?

I haven't fished that spot since the year it got posted. I waded up there and fished a few times after the guy put the fresh signs up but always felt nervous so I stopped going there.

So i guess the simple answer is yes I did fish that spot about 3 times when it was posted. I also fished it for about 3 years before it got posted. It's a shame cause that was one of the best holes in that quarter mile stretch around tollgate there.

I guess I'm not the best example for proper use of posted land etiquette. I also cross country ski across private land from time to time. I try to be a good steward of the outdoors and find friendly conversation often leads to good results. I've never been in trouble with the law over it and I've never even been booted from private land over it either.

The majority of my fishing happens on public waterways.

PASKIING,

Ah, I see. There is a lot of posted land around the Perkiomen branches and it can be pretty ambiguous at times. I agree, being tactful when dealing with landowners usually brings good results.

I like to carry a plastic trash bag as well. People tend to relax a bit if they notice you're actually picking up the place while you fish. That and 99.9% of the time I'm C&R anyway so it's not like I'm taking anything but pictures.

We were approached by a landowner on the west branch perk this year but he was very cool about it and actually told us he didn't mind as long as we were fly fishing. So that was refreshingly cool of him.

Back