Float Trip Ideas

P

PATroutMan

Looking to go out this weekend for a float trip. Does anyone have any suggestions? Last year I did a little juniata float but not sure where the water levels are at right now. We will be in kayaks and are looking to spin and fly fish possibly. If anyone has any ideas feel free to share. Thanks

At this time of year water levels tend to drop so you are looking at big water. I do most of my canoe trips are when water levels are high, which is why I own five different wet suits and PFD's. I need a lot of water to explore water that seldom is when the weather is warm. I do most of my canoeing when the weather is cold.

The Juniata River is a nice float with good fishing/camping. The toughest part of camping along the Juniata River is the trains at night. I have friends who swear they can sleep through anything at night. I'm a very light sleeper and can hear a cat walk across the carpet at night.

Thanks for the help, we were discussing the raystown branch of the juniata. How is that compared to other parts of the river?

I wish I could be more helpful but the Juniata River from Huntingdon to Amity Hall is all I've ever canoed with the exception of a small portion of the Little Juniata when I was student at Juniata College.

I'm sure that there are good floats on both the Raystown and Frankstown branches of the Juniata but I just haven't canoed them myself.

Might be a little bumpy, but lower Penns is a fun bass fishery below Glen Iron. Probably better options, but it might be something to think about.

Back