Fishing near NYC

elonDO

elonDO

Curious if anybody out there might have any info about fly fishing in or around NYC. My wife just got a new in NYC, so we will be relocating from Lancaster in the near future. I know there is an Urban Angler in town I will have to check out. Will definitely miss the fishing in Central PA!

Should have mentioned I'm open to any species salt or fresh. I do primarily bass & trout now. No access to a boat either. Not opposed to using a guide for a few outings if needed. Thanks!

Try Brian Goulart (nysaltfly.com). He is based out of Brooklyn, super guy, great guide, nice boat, and will have you on fish under the jumbo jets approaching JFK.
Also, I remember seeing some articles about fishing Jamaica bay etc in This is Fly e magazine. Might be some info there.
Good luck

I can't really help you with anything besides trout. Westchester County has decent trout fishing. I've never fished there but I know the Croton Reservoir System has wild trout (in streams within the system). Also, NYS Rt 17 / I 86 and this has good trout fishing along the entire southern tier of NYS, but this is further away. The Willowemac, Beaverkill, EB and WB of the Delaware River all cross Rt 17. I want to say from Manhattan to the junction of the Bkill and EB Del River is approx. 3hrs.

Don't forget about Long Island. You have a chance to catch a sea run brook trout. Follow this link: http://www.flyfisherman.com/destinations/long-island-triangle/

Great article Salmo. Thanks!

The entire reservoir system is fishable.

Each res dumps into a tail water which leads to the next one. They are stocked heavily and wild, as well.

You may also fish the reservoirs themselves with a boat, or from the shore (I guess).

You will require an NYDEP permit to access this water as well as the state fishing liscense. Do not skip the NYDEP permit, as they heavily enforce it.

As for fishing on a res, obtaining a boat permit is much more convoluted. Each boat must be linked to a res, and you can't go from res to res without visiting a DEP station and having them powerwash and verify it. Boats are row powered only, no trolling motors and no gas. Bait has to be caught from each specific res and used in that res, as well. Not sure if that applies to the tail waters or not.

I lived 27 years in NYC, now in Pittsburgh.
Salt fishing is great (and this is superb fishing if you learn where to go) Catskills is the place to go for trout FF. There are a lot of other places for anglers.

A lot of fly fishermen fish the NY Harbor. I don't know anything about that, but I do know you've got to try the trout streams on Long Island, and there is good salt water fishing on LI.

Back