First time trip to west branch Of del

DrNymph

DrNymph

Hey guys,

I'm making a last minute decision to drive from Philly up north to explore the west branch of the Delaware. I don't have a boat and don't plan on hiring a guide, in terms of locations, where are the best wading opportunities?

Thanks

Dr - just go to Deposit and the special reg water is just downstream. Wading in town is easy too.

Or - if you don't want to get a NY license, fish the game lands within the PA border

when are you going? Also a ny state license is only $10/day for a non resident.

Dr. - the flows right now are prime for wading. You can fish anywhere on the WB right now and the wading will be easy. Good luck.

with the weather conditions you should have fish up and feeding all day. I'm jealous. March Browns, sulfurs, gray fox, green Drake, caddis ans stoneflies. You should see just about everything

Andy - when i was there the hatches were very inconsistent. One day they were great the next day it was off until evening. I know that's typical for the D but it seems a little more off this year as far as consistency. I fished the upper wB,EB, lower WB, EB, and after 4 days I still didn't know where to go the next day. I talked to a few guides at the skellar and i felt fortunate to have the success i had this trip. I really had to work hard for the fish I got though. There was some interesting bugs hatching for sure.

Even with the cold winter, everything started not far off from 'normal' dates....then the heavy rain threw a stick in the spokes. Blanket hatches and then no hatches. Mother nature has made it a little wacky this year. Tougher than usual IMO.

what is surprising me is how picky the fish are already. I am already getting the nose bump on flies and the quick spit out. I usually don't see that until July/august in stilesville

The thing I don't like this year is that there is very little action until right at dark. I know the best action is late and to be prepared to stay well into the dark, but there are usually some risers to target in the evening. That said, I have had good fishing late. Seems like a lot more large fish around this year.

We fished over rising trout on the WB yesterday from 11 to 7. First SGL. Lots of sulphers, drakes (some). Some sipping but mostly splashing on emergeing flies or in the film. All afternoon. Cold water. Great level. Two of the fish I caught were on soft hackles. My friend did very well on a small pheasant tail beadhead trailed under a dun. Coffin flies at dusk. I can't overemphasize the need for fleece pants under the waders. Deep wading for the far bankers. My fleece pants were nicely folded on a shelf in Woodbury NJ.

I've seen wet waders in Norboard and Stilesville. You are a hard azz to do it or too cheap to buy waders. LOL. Buddy told me sulphur hatch ran from 9am until 4pm yesterday. That's abnormal but sweet. I'm waiting for the algae bloom to wreck everything.

I had on my waders with capaline longies. I desperately needed the reddington fleece pants. They would take the dun but mostly they were on emergers or nymphs in the film. There were a lot of different sulfurs around.

wet wading the WB, sulphurs at 9 am it's thunderdome this year

Back