Fayette Nam

Acristickid

Acristickid

Now I have never had my car broken into but a junkie girl stole $11 of mine off the bar very near Confluence.

Fayette Nam

Wow, Dunbar sounds like a nice place. If I had in-laws, I'd send them there for a week's vacation.

I live in Dunbar township (but not Dunbar Borough- my wife tells me I must make that distinction). I have stumbled upon situations around fayettenam whilst pursuing fur and fin that would absolutely blow your mind.

As a side note, some of the brand new jack dams on Dunbar Creek FFO were loosed and lifted a dozen feet up a tree during a late august flood.

I fished Dunbar a few weeks ago - and it is a mess. Most of my favorite holes were either changed around substantially, or completely filled in. Lots of downed trees and debris makes walking along it a challenge.

I've never been broken into along Dunbar. However, I did get broken into while parked along the Yough river trail close to Connellsville

" WCO Scot Opfer said the dearth of trout might have more to do with contact damage that occurs in legal catch-and-release fishing.
They get caught and caught and caught. They get handled so much they just die."

Huh? What? If the stream was heavily fished I might buy that statement... wait... "the dearth of trout"... no I wouldn't.

For the record, I used to fish there quite a bit. I've mentioned this on the board before but--over the course of like 30 years--I've had some "interesting" experiences including: a local Fayette-Cong showing me his big-*** sheath knife trying to sell it, finding blasting caps along the shoreline, an attempted break in on the trunk of my car, countless dope/beer bashes in Betty Knox area, and most humorous of all, a drunken moonshiner crashing his flatbed into a tree along the road and wanting me to buy his obviously potent product.

I've never really been fearful, maybe just slightly concerned at times.
I would actually be more afraid at dusk when the ghost of Betty Knox and her oxen can be heard making their way up the trail.

greenghost wrote:
" WCO Scot Opfer said the dearth of trout might have more to do with contact damage that occurs in legal catch-and-release fishing.

Huh? What? If the stream was heavily fished I might buy that statement... wait... "the dearth of trout"... no I wouldn't.

For the record, I used to fish there quite a bit. I've mentioned this on the board before but--over the course of like 30 years--I've had some "interesting" experiences including: a local Fayette-Cong showing me his big-*** sheath knife trying to sell it, finding blasting caps along the shoreline, an attempted break in on the trunk of my car, countless dope/beer bashes in Betty Knox area, and most humorous of all, a drunken moonshiner crashing his flatbed into a tree along the road and wanting me to buy his obviously potent product.

Someone else told me about the "show the knife" guy. That was some years ago, I'm guessing mid- to late 1990s.

Was your incident more recent than that?

I'm thinking it has to be the same guy. How many show-the-knife guys could there be?

Unless that is just a local tradition, part of the "life style", as they say. :-o

The story in the link has some issues. How could she be born in 1862 and meet a soldier while driving oxen in 1862 and nurse him to health? Then there are the grammatical issues.

BrookieChaser wrote:
The story in the link has some issues. How could she be born in 1862 and meet a soldier while driving oxen in 1862 and nurse him to health? Then there are the grammatical issues.

OK, Ok ... it's a good ghost story around halloween. :) She was born in 1842. Try this one.

troutbert wrote:
greenghost wrote:

Someone else told me about the "show the knife" guy. That was some years ago, I'm guessing mid- to late 1990s.

Was your incident more recent than that?

I'm thinking it has to be the same guy. How many show-the-knife guys could there be?

Unless that is just a local tradition, part of the "life style", as they say. :-o

That's funny! Late 90s for sure. Hope the guy sold the damned thing! :lol:

Greenghost, the new link made more sense in its dates. I thought the catching of the spirit in a mason jar was funny.

We have old stories like that in my area as well.

The "Pennsylvania Fireside Stories" series is a good read for old folklore.

Was it your impression that the "show-the-knife guy" was really trying to sell a knife?

Or was the intent to intimidate people?

If he was hoping to peddle stuff, he could have offered a watch, or maybe fishing gear, snacks, sodas.

And surely he would do better selling knives or whatever at a nearby flea market than at a SGL parking lot.

I had a very different experience in Dunbar, which happens to be a Scottish place name. After fishing one even and doing quite well I might add, I went to the local eatery. When I walked in the folks acted like they knew me. I thought to myself, could all those stories be local legend, or do I have a double wreaking mayhem over there and they were all afraid of me? Not!

Fished Dunbar this eve. Obviously it was extremely low. I wanted one last shot at it before the new additions come on friday. Landed 3 on size 16s and up. Even though I have fished it enough to know each rock by name, it is like a brand new stream with all of the new holes.

troutbert wrote:
Was it your impression that the "show-the-knife guy" was really trying to sell a knife?

Or was the intent to intimidate people?

If he was hoping to peddle stuff, he could have offered a watch, or maybe fishing gear, snacks, sodas.

And surely he would do better selling knives or whatever at a nearby flea market than at a SGL parking lot.

Well, my initial impression was he was trying to sell it since he ask me if I wanted to buy it. I do remember he said something like "Just saw you here and thought you may be interested in buying a nice knife."

But a buddy of mine is a state trooper who at one time covered that area. He thought the guy was sizing me up and for whatever reason decided to just leave.

BrookieChaser wrote:
Greenghost, the new link made more sense in its dates. I thought the catching of the spirit in a mason jar was funny.

We have old stories like that in my area as well.

The "Pennsylvania Fireside Stories" series is a good read for old folklore.

I love reading those stories, I'll have to get a copy. I've got to tell you though, I've been on Dunbar into the night. There is something about that place. It definitely gave me the creeps before I knew about Betty Knox and before all that other stuff happened. The stream and hollow are beautiful places and stay with you. To paraphrase Maclean... that water haunts me.

I've fished Dunbar several times recently...and haven't had any problems (thankfully). I will say that the last trip I was down there; as I was walking back from upstream to the parking area above the FFO section, there was a truck parked awkwardly, and away from the main parking area. I had to walk past it to get to my car. I could see a guy sitting in the driver's seat, head back...looked like he was asleep. As I get closer, a head pops up, and there's a female companion in the passenger seat, and he jerks his head around towards me, obviously startled. I hope I didn't ruin his afternoon! haha

That is unbelievable. That EXACT same thing happened to me in the EXACT same place about a month ago but it involved a very old ford contour. The female looked up as I walked past, and went right back to business before I even finished walking past. The guy in the nascar hat had a big smile.

Well at least the Catostomus Commersonii's are thriving in Dunbar.

I have one that can top that, but it happened at Allenberry.
I was walking towards the parking lot at the run along the sewer right of way. Right in the middle of the trail a girl was doing a guy in plain sight. I was about 50 feet away when they saw me. My feet were wet and cold because of leaky waders, so I walked past sullen and annoyed. as I walked by the girl said "Hi?!".

Back