Elk and Cameron County conditions?

724flyfishing

724flyfishing

Does anyone know how the water conditions are in Elk, Clearfield, and Cameron counties now? I know NCPA got hit hard with the drought this year but I haven't been up that way since snake season in July. I'll be up there Sunday to hang a tree stand for bear season and I was wondering if it would be worth it to take the 6'6" 4wt to fish some of the small creeks after I'm done? Or are they still in bad shape? Thanks in advance.

Low. Everything is low across the board. I was just up last weekend. Went through Cameron and Elk County. I'd take a rod, but with low conditions and the spawn beginning, I'd be very wary to fish at this point. Them troutz have been through a lot this year.

Here is the USGS stream gauging website:

http://waterwatch.usgs.gov/?m=real&r=pa&w=map

I recommend bookmarking this, so you can easily check the flow rates.

For example, in that region, you can look at the gauge on the Driftwood Branch at Sterling Run.

Current flow is about 30 cfs. Average flow for this date is about 70 cfs.

30 cfs is not much water for a stream and watershed of that size.

I have it bookmarked and use it quite frequently for bigger bodies of water. I usually do not think of it or use it when I'm prospecting gemmie streams. But that is a good point and way to get a rough idea what a overall watershed is experiencing. So the watershed is roughly half of what it normally averages this time of year... I think I'll pack a rod and my pack, but most likely will be using my camera instead of a fly rod.

724flyfishing wrote:

I usually do not think of it or use it when I'm prospecting gemmie streams. But that is a good point and way to get a rough idea what a overall watershed is experiencing.

That's right. Not many of the gemmie streams have gauges on them. One exception is Young Womans Creek in Clinton Cty.

But if you look at the gauges on the big creeks, like Pine Cr, Kettle Cr, the Sinnemahonings, you can get a very good idea what flows will be like in the tributaries to the big creeks.

Low. VERY LOW.

I was up there this weekend camping at Hicks Run. Fishing was VERY difficult. Most streams are a trickle at best. We did more hiking than we did fishing.

The good news is the water is nice and cold - low to mid 50s. We did find a few wild browns, native brookies, and the occasional stocked rainbow, but we really had to work for them. Everything is crystal clear and low, so the fish we did come into were very spooky. Even with the all night long rain we had up there Sunday night, the creeks didnt come up or discolor at all. Everything is so dry that a light rain doesnt affect anything.

We're supposed to get a good bit of rain this next few days though so things may turn around between now and then.

I was up there today. The creeks are all way up. Not blown out but higher than normal. The small creeks like Wycoff and Dents Run looked perfect. I did not fish unfortunately so I can't comment on how the actual fishing was it looks good if you're planning on giving the area a try.

Back