Dam Four Potomac

bigslackwater

bigslackwater

Has anyone fished below Dam 4 on the Potomac River? I was there yesterday riding bikes and saw people fishing from the rocks. Water was up and really flowing. I was wondering what this is like during the summer? Right now it does not look wadeable but I'm thinking it would be nice water when the levels drop.

Fishing there is great, lot of smallmouth. Also look downstream towards Taylors Landing, I have had better luck there, a little better wading in that area. Chuckin streamers!

bigslackwater wrote:
Has anyone fished below Dam 4 on the Potomac River?

I fish there pretty frequently (although it's not my favorite). Good for walleyes.

There's more pressure above the dam due to boat access. There are many shallow, wadeable areas of the Potomac and they all fish pretty good during lower water periods. I usually watch the gage at Hancock; you want levels under about 4.5 for wading. Levels under 4 are ideal and when they drop below 3 you can access most mid river islands by foot.

Yup fished there plenty of times. I prefer wet wading there in the summer for bass in the riffles swinging streamers. Sometimes it is great and other times its is not. I have also canoed down to Taylors and Snyder's for there which is an awesome float for the evening.

Back