Chester County - East/West Brandywine

drewshu

drewshu

Hello All --

I've recently moved to the Downingtown/Thorndale area and looking to get my boots wet for the first time in this area, early spring. I'm located in West Bradford Township and have access to both Brandywine Branches to the east and west. I know there is a Fly Fishing Only stretch up near Marsh Lake off the East Branch and figured I'd start there. I have no trouble exploring on my own but thought I'd pop in here and see if anyone could point out for me some decent holes to start in this area. I am coming from the King of Prussia area and generally fished Tully and Valley. How do the local creeks fair in comparison to those creeks?

Much appreciated.

East Branch is a DHALO (not FFO) that gets a fall stocking, so you don't have to wait until spring to wet a line there. West Valley is also a DHALO that gets some fish early in the spring each year. West Valley has had some issues, but temp-wise it has some coldwater influence from limestone, I believe. It is not a bad little creek.

First, a number of stocked sections in SE Pa should be holding trout since last spring due to the wet summer of 2017. Some of those sections may not usually hold trout year around, but this past year could be the occasional exception. Second, those that do hold some fish throughout the year or most of the year should be holding even more. Your choices of the East and West Branches are good, but bear in mind that the DH Area gets very warm in summer. Fall stocked fish should be present. But, that's not,the only area to find fish. Try the four mile stretch going upstream from Culbertson Run's confluence. You should find some wild Browns and holdover stockies. The West Branch is a bit warmer, but given the precip last summer I would focus on the Hibernia Park and upstream portion of the stocked section. Additionally, if you take a drive someday and take the wild trout streams list along you may find a wild trout trib to either stream that interests you. Almost all are small, but some are not too tight.

I have fished the East branch with my father since I was a child and know stream very well. The pfbc and Brandywine trout and conservation club do a nice job stocking. The stream receives heavy use from opening day until May.

As Mike state the delayed harvest section gets very warm but there is s lot of nice water to fish. In fact most of the entire East branch is open to fishing.

If you are looking for holdovers try areas from the confluence of beaver creek down to the train bridge below the police station. Beaver creek is much cooler than the main steam Nd provides some thermal refuge for trout. Another spot that has a few wild trout and holdovers is a stretch about a half mile above devraux bridge. Lots of wooded areas with spring seeps.

West branch is a Zoo. East branch can be equally as bad depending on the area. Total combat fishing. I only go on opening wit my dad and uncle to carry on tradition. Otherwise I’m fishing for wild trout these days.

Nice call, Hop. I forgot to mention Beaver, which is also stocked, but supports a very small, as of 15 yrs ago, wild BT population, so you are correct,,it is a cooler stream. I would recommend that he try Beaver itself as well as, the stretch below.

You are all fantastic. Thanks for the information and I'll be sure to report back!

Just reporting back. Fished the East Branch Brandywine, it's a nice 10 minutes from my home, in the Delayed Harvest Artificial Lures only section, mostly in the southern section of the creek towards Dowlin Forge Road. Very nice area and generally secluded from the trail/hikders, however, I could not catch anything but Shiners (I think that's what they were). 3-4 inch little silver fish hitting on anything underneath, I must have caught at least a dozen. Didn't see any rising trout either, both times. Has anyone had any luck with trout in this section? Perhaps I may have better luck up towards the bridge? Any tips are appreciated!

Park at the parking lot on Dorian mill rd and walk down the trail until you see a big concrete wall and chain link fence. Cross upstream of this point and fish against the wall down through the larger hole. You will catch trout there for sure.

Be mindful of the water temps starting around this time of year. This is several miles downstream, so you're probably still fine where you fished, but it's getting warm enough to make the trout feed less in the middle of the day for sure. That could play a role in your lack of trout action.

USGS gage w/ temp

Back