Best place for a weekend trip in July/August?

K

ksherbine

Where would be the best place for a weekend trip for trout within 4-5 hours of SW PA in July/August? I'm assuming it would have to be a tailwater fishery or high spring fed creek so it's not too warm.

We missed our annual trip to Kettle this year, and I'd like to fit something in before my son leaves for college.

Thanks for your help!
Kirk

4-5 hours from SW PA?

Many of the central pa limestoners or SCPA limestoners.

I spent the better part of a week at the Elk Springs Resort in Monterville, WV after an Independence Day Weekend(4th of July) and had a great time. This is not far from the Snowshoe Ski Resort. You can look it up on the internet.

I fished one evening with a guide and local legend there and had a great time. One of the links on here is www.WVAngler.com

You can do some exploring there.

That is an option that will work for you in that driving time in the summer.

Mossy Creek Fly Fishing, Harrisonburg, VA. You could float the Shenandoah for smallies or fish Mossy Creek, a true spring creek.

I personally have not been there yet, but maybe the Clarion?
North Branch of the Potomac?
If you can go a little more than five hrs, West Branch Delaware.

No interest in bass? Susky is much improved if you can avoid the jet boats. Or the Juniata.

Are you content to wade or use your toon?

Wherever you decide, the time spent together will far surpass the fishing.

I'd go with a tailwater.
Closest to SW Pa would be the Yough, and it usually still fishes well in july and august.

A little further away, you have the Clarion. Depending on the weather, the main stem might be a little warm for trout then. But the east branch runs cold all year.

If you really want to get adventurous - as Dave mentioned, the WB Delaware would be a lot of fun then also

Thanks guys! We're getting info on all those mentioned now, plus possibly heading to the Coudersport area.

I never thought about the WB Delaware. Is that something we could float in our Scadden raft? How does it compare to the Yough both in paddling difficulty and fishing?

Another option we're thinking about is Western MD like the Savage or some of it and the Potomac tribs. What about that?

Thanks a ton guys!
Kirk

Your Scadden will Float the WB no problem.

Only issue on the WB Delaware is dodging wading anglers. This is especially true going thru the game lands. From Balls Eddy down, it’s usually not too bad.

DaveS wrote:
Only issue on the WB Delaware is dodging wading anglers. This is especially true going thru the game lands. From Balls Eddy down, it’s usually not too bad.

I suppose it's time for a wading angler rant. :p

Comparing the yough to the WB is like comparing Roseanne to Salma Hayek.

acristickid wrote:
Comparing the yough to the WB is like comparing Roseanne to Salma Hayek.

You'd still do either one ?

With the Yough being Roseanne? WOW... that much of a difference?

Harmons Cabins in West Virginia

I think the yough is pretty good.

It doesn't have wild fish - or massive hatches like the D.
But for us in SW PA, it's sure a lot closer.
I can be on it within an hour - compared to almost 7 hours to the D.
Pretty substantial difference there. It's not really worth it for me to go to the D, unless I have at least 4 - 5 days off. I can shoot down to the yough for the evening.

I would even argue that - at certain times - it can actually fish better than the central PA limestoners
During really hot weather -when they can get over 70 degrees - I can go to the yough and fish in water that's still in the '50's

I've caught many stocked/holdover fish there in the 15 inch range, and a few pushing 20 - all on dries.

Sure, If had my druthers - the Big D would be it.
But when I don't have time for a big trip - the yough ain't too bad

Back