Anyone hit the salmon river lately?

D

dubthethorax

We're heading up next weekend to bear the cold and hunt for chrome. Anyone been up recently? What bugs/techniques have been productive? Not asking for spots or anything, just general fly patterns and techniques.

It's been a few years, but Early Spring Stone, Ice Caddis (in various colors), and egg patterns did well. Been thinking about tying some Northwest spey patterns for a friend who goes up in mid February.

Hank

Check out Douglaston Salmon Run page on facebook.

p.s.-thanks for sending those pics to troutrageous.

Hey Dub,

Don't know if you have seen or if it will effect you, but everything is blown and spilling over the banks. Especially the smaller streams. I am sure next week will be fine, but keep an eye out.

Good advice from Becker. Things are pretty wild up there and who knows what next week brings. This time of year for me it is all about conditions. We plan and end up cancelling way more trips to the Salmon than we actually go on - b/c things can get so extreme up there. If you are going regardless of weather/water then just have fun with it. Find a favorite pool that is away from the road and holds winter steel. Most of them will hold fish. Then it is just a matter of fishing different depths, weight, and flies until you get into their zone. Winter time is great for eggs and stones as usual. If you get a warmer day (over 40) you could start toi see little black stones, in which case they should really turn onto anything smallish and black. Enjoy your time up there though - I do not get up enough and am jealous.

I'm def keeping an eye on the weather and we have family up there who keep us up to date. I doubt it will still be blown in a week from now, especially since the cold air is taking over again.

Thanks for the advice. And Polky, you're welcome, and let me know if you want the original adult version!

I haven't been up for a month, but last time I went it was definately more of a nymph bite than a egg or swinging bite. Misc black stones with subtle flash and Prince nymphs in deep runs seemed to do it. Some on eggs and wets, but the steady action was on nymphs. The hot stone had a black estaz like thorax and black rubber legs with a V-rib abdomen. My fishing buddy went to Princes and did well, but caught some on wets.

So, is it worth going when it's running between 1500 and 2000? I'm having second thoughts

They are getting heavy snow again today. I don't have your answer Mike, but if you decide to still go up, shoot me a Pm. Might be able to recommend other places to fish.

O and you could always float.....

Just remembered, there is a possible very large Noreaster coming through Friday morning.

Yeah 6-12 inches throughout pretty much the whole route up there on Friday. not looking good.

Snow possibility aside I wouldn't try to wade fish the Salmon River at 1500 - 2000 cfs. That's a lot of water.

2 feet of snow from thurs pm to sat am. high of 17 and 30mph winds on saturday and it's still running at 2000? HELL NO.

not going.

Smart move!

postponed until 2/22. Never been up that late in Feb. Curious as to how good it will be...Time will tell.

Come on, that's STEELHEAD weather!!!...:)lol

I cancelled my trip this past weekend as well. The fishing will be fine when you head up. Some steelhead have already spawned early, some are in the mix of spawning, and plenty of others are starting to get the "itch." Steelhead are still entering the river as well.

We're now leaving Thursday evening and staying until Sunday night. Whipping up flies like a mad man.

I'm headed up over my spring break(March 21-24). I've never been to the Salmon nor have I ever been steelhead fishing. Really excited but not sure what to expect. I fly fish Little Pine and Big Pine Creeks here in PA frequently. Any similarities? Any advice is welcomed.

They both have water? Lol

Freaking running at almost 1400 but we're still gonna give it a go. Might try the DSR on Friday.

Back