What's Really Warming the Planet?

greenghost

greenghost

Very nicely done article that offers up some convincing stats in an engaging way.

I guess the only question it doesn't address is what's causing the increase in greenhouse gases.

I didn't get into where all the data and simulations come from.

Once upon a time I was a climate researcher for the DOE, by the way. These kind of things can be easily manipulated to show what you want to show. That's not to say I don't believe CO2 emissions are the primary culprit. I do. I'm just saying it's not something that really can be proven, one way or the other.

For instance, the "simulations" are assuming different factors have different strength influences. The strongest one, for CO2, for instance, is based on looking at historical (over hundreds and thousands and even millions of years) CO2 concentrations and comparing to known temperature anomalies. From that you get a forcing factor, which is inputted into the model. It tells you that historical temperatures are well correlated to historical CO2 concentrations. And that's true.

But.... Determining which is the cause and which is the effect. That's a horse of a different color. The models assume the CO2 as the cause and the temperature as the effect. But it could be reversed. Or they both could be caused by another factor not yet found. For instance, with warming temperatures, ice retreats, releasing enormous amounts of methane and CO2 trapped in tundra. Which warms the earth more, which melts more ice.... So both cause and effect here! As another, most of the earth's CO2 is trapped in the oceans. It gets trapped in downwelling areas, which are driven by ice formation in polar regions. As ice forms, the remaining surface water becomes more saline, and resistant to freezing. Saltier, colder water is denser than the less salty, warmer water below. And hence it sinks, taking CO2 with it, and it won't come back up again for another 500+ years. The reverse happens in equatorial regions, where deep water warms and rises giving off it's CO2. Well, a warming earth corresponds to poles warming more than equatorial regions. Hence downwelling (trapping of CO2) near polar regions is slowed while upwelling is not. i.e. warming CAUSES more CO2 in the atmosphere, rather than vice versa. You could argue the higher CO2 during warmer periods is an effect, not the cause.

Anyway, that just speaks to the vast levels of uncertainty in it all. The above is just scratching the surface. Too many variables. Literally thousands of positive and negative feedback mechanisms and we have them poorly sorted out. I do believe anthropologic CO2 emissions are at least one of the primary causes of the observed warming over the last 100 years. I just don't pretend I, or anyone else, can absolutely prove it beyond the shadow of any doubt.

The one thing I will fully criticize here, though, is the mishandling of the deforestation one. It talked about lighter patches vs. darker forests, and hence a cooling effect. Well, that's true. But it's not in isolation. The real point behind the deforestation argument is in reference to greenhouse gases, and I don't even think they used this. Trees "breath" CO2 and give off oxygen, we learn that in what, 3rd grade? Concrete doesn't do this so well. So even if we emitted zero CO2, with deforestation and urbanization, atmospheric levels of CO2 would increase, as less is being removed. So this argument would say that it's still all about CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere, but that our focus shouldn't just be on the emissions end, but also on not taking away the things that absorb it!

UH, I didn't click the link yet, but the fact that we are only 11,000 years out of the last ice age might have something to do with it. Just sayin.
we're gonna get much, MUCH warmer, if history is any hint.

The earth WILL constantly change, we CAN'T stop it.

Thankfully, a time will come when we will become extinct and won't be able to Eff with it anymore.

The bottom line is as the world population increases, the amount of utilization of natural resources will continue perhaps exponentially. Short of a human extermination program I think discussion of global warming is sort of moot. The term climate change is just newspeak for we don't know how the climate is reacting to human habitation in the long term. A point we should wholely consider prior to eliminating entire industries and enacting a wealth redistribution carbon credit scheme. That being said, it is promising that the recent NASA data showing decreasing acid rain levels in the US may be a positive outcome of the emission regulations promulgated by the previous administration.

albud, don't confuse emissions regulations with CO2 emissions. Previous emission regulations have said NOTHING about greenhouse gases. It's about NOX, particulates, and the like.

The observed reduction in acid rain is mainly a function of the Clean Air Act, which was passed in 1975 and strengthened in 77 and 90, I believe. Basically requires scrubbers on coal plant stacks, as well as catalytic converters and the like on cars. These things don't reduce CO2, in fact, they slightly increase it. But they have somewhat reduced acid rain (and considering population growth, moderate reduction in total is a major reduction on a per person basis).

I will say, though, that Obama's "war on coal", which was somewhat in connection to global warming and CO2, led to the shuttering of a large number of remaining coal fired power plants. This will have a substantial further beneficial effect on acid rain to be realized over the next 30 years or so. It also has, and will continue to lead to the natural gas boom and fracking. IMO, environmentally speaking, aside from global warming, I'll take that trade off for our trout streams. Give me higher pH rainfall over huge areas and I'll tolerate a handful of frack fluid spills, some truck traffic, and clearing some several acre woodland tracts for well sites.

Back